New woodworking TV show on BBC2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember watching a house repair/upgrade show as a boy say the 60's.....
with some bloke just making a mess of wrecking a house....may have been a semi.....dunno....
was it Bob, no, not the builder, too new....
think the house had to be rebuilt when they finished the show...
Bring back Barry Buknell !

I seem to remember watching a house repair/upgrade show as a boy say the 60's.....
with some bloke just making a mess of wrecking a house....may have been a semi.....dunno....
Barry Bucknell? Certainly generated a bit of work for me in the past!

I have always found I get frustrated with any of these programmes because I want to know about the making process in detail and they don’t normally go into any detail (presumably because the masses would switch over).

But, we have youtube now where there’s plenty of detail (sometimes too much detail!).

I’ve learnt a lot watching particularly engineering videos.

Phil.

tooleypark.com

bespokehandmadeboxes.co.uk

Quite by chance while rummaging through TV series that I've recorded over the years, I came across Mastercrafts, presented by Monty Don from 2010.
The first episode, Green Woodcraft, is excellent. It's slightly unfortunate that it takes a '3 contenders compete to see ..' approach, but there is some really very good advice and techniques used from the guy helping them.

It's on YouTube, worth a watch I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6LJQOAaGj2lyHLGlQnhhtU2EDllIFxOu

Quite by chance while rummaging through TV series that I've recorded over the years, I came across Mastercrafts, presented by Monty Don from 2010
Monty Don, before he invented himself as a gardener! Just watched part of the Blacksmith episode and it is very good. I suppose by introducing the three novices, it shows what can go wrong. It also contains some very interesting historical information about the craft as well.

Awful programme,starting with the presenter Jay Blades,cant stand the bloke,makes out he knows about this stuff when clearly he doesn't.The Tambour unit was a joke and there were several mistakes I noticed in the making of the box.Will not be watching the rest of the series

Last edited:
Woodworking shoes,I did see a programme about making clogs a while ago,haha
I used to have a friend who made them at one time. My Lancashire-pattern duck toe clasp front clogs were really comfortable. Bit awkward learning to walk in them, however.

I squirmed every time they passed lengths of oak across the planer without using push blocks. Both novices were clearly allowed to use the planer like that. One catch on a knot, the timber would have shot forward, and the hands would go straight down onto the planer knives. 😳😳😳

I squirmed every time they passed lengths of oak across the planer without using push blocks. Both novices were clearly allowed to use the planer like that. One catch on a knot, the timber would have shot forward, and the hands would go straight down onto the planer knives. 😳😳😳
I was also concerned to see sheets of ply being cut on a saw with no riving knife or any guards at all. Awful workshop practice - as bad as mine (he says, typing with two heavily bandaged fingers).

But as a "show", I quite enjoy it. Perhaps because it is local. This week featured "my" hospital and a school I know well. Whether they will appreciate a large book case in the middle of their hall/gymn is a different matter.

Whether they will appreciate a large book case in the middle of their hall/gymn is a different matter.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly that. At least they weren’t filling the sports hall with a rainbow VR suite.

I liked the show, taken with a pinch of salt. It wouldn’t have been on at all with just experts going into any detail.

Having said that there was a great ‘Slow tv’ show on bbc four a few years ago called ‘Handmade’:
three artily-shot 30min docs called ‘Glass’, ‘Wood’, and ‘Metal’.
They’re on yt - here’s glass:

Having said that there was a great ‘Slow tv’ show on bbc four a few years ago called ‘Handmade’:
three artily-shot 30min docs called ‘Glass’, ‘Wood’, and ‘Metal’.

I remember those....... the one on wood featured a Windsor chair-maker, as I recall, working in a collection of sheds in his back garden.

Just caught episode one of this. Don't want to knock the idea but they sure made life hard for the participants. One lady had to hand sand 120 tambour slats to 'get rid of saw marks '- I'm sure I saw a P/T lying about. !
There were a lot of elementary mistakes and a lot was left out. How did they reinforce the mitres on that jewellery box ? A nice idea but they need a good professional to oversee the construction methods.

Not the Jay Blades prog (given up with that) . . . . BUT Grand Designs last night showed some pretty amazing carpentry/joinery skills . . . albeit a weird house and location.

on iplayer when you go to view the program it first pops up with an announcement saying that:

the program has been edited since broadcast to ensure it features best health and safety practices. Anyone operating similar machinery should check the appropriate health and safety guidance

The shows not too bad.
These are meant to showcase amateurs being able to do something they love. It's no worse than Masterchef, mistakes are always made.
However they have some tutelage and they must try things that challenges them all the time.
As far as Jay goes, most presenters are not much cop. BBC do it all the time, someone used to do a bit of football and all the sudden they are an expert in all sports and put on every show.
I would prefer a show that was like the British sewing bee or the pottery throw down, people that are not professional nessasary but do what they love with commissions and time frames.

Did anyone spot the sapele get thrown across the workshop off the router table?

Latest posts

Back