New Woodworking tv program

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up that there's a new woodworking program on Quest. It's called "Kings of the wood". Don't know if it's any good as I've just spotted it.

It went out on ' Quest' last night. Its the ' Salvage Hunters ' team with Alex in the lead. They strive for hand tool joinery for good causes but are not averse to using a track saw , routers and a chainsaw. Interesting use of wood but I thought the design of the final pieces very crude and amateurish.

Yes I watched it as well I guess you will always have an amateurish feel to a program as they have to be so quick skipping about filming they don't have time to do it properly.
I have seen Alex in action on Salvage Hunters and he in my opinion could be good if he takes his time. what stuck out to me is he did not finish the hand ends of the arms of the seat square edges to hold onto.
But one real good thing no jokey presenters.

I think the corny looking work is on purpose to make it more relatable for the average person. I won't repeat the paragraphs of critique I've made before on here other than to say "Forged in Fire" had top shelf makers at the end of season 1, and the knives and swords they made were uneventful and very fine, and the result was a show without disasters or timing tension, and things of such fine make that only actual makers of them would prefer the show.

I thought it was a clinic, highly enjoyable. Ratings have apparently led them to get mostly incompetent makers to line up hijinks. ("oh, look, they fail at it all the time, so it's OK that I can't do anything, too!).

Cutting the legs of the surfboard table as one piece and then reinforcing the cross grain leg with an ash longrain piece was just ridiculous. All to avoid making joints !? :rolleyes:

Cutting the legs of the surfboard table as one piece and then reinforcing the cross grain leg with an ash longrain piece was just ridiculous. All to avoid making joints !? :rolleyes:
saw that last night on a repeat, the whole design of the legs seemed very odd, having the frame of the legs larger than the surfboard tabletop seemed most bizarre, and as you say the idea that anyone (certainly anyone proffessional enough to use festool tools) making crossgrain legs was completely implausable

Back