New wood turner - just got a DML 24x

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

After a long fight with the burning desire to get a lathe, I have finally bought myself an old Record DML24x with a set of 5 basic turning tools.

"The Book" is already on its way and I am looking forward to trying the lathe out once I clean the rust off and sharpen the tools. The intention is to use it for making pens from offcuts and one day try my hand at woodwind instruments.

The lathe came with only a 4-prong drive and a live centre.

I would be grateful if someone shared the manual for the DML24x (old links in old threads seem to have expired) and recommended a set of pen turning tools, anything required for woodwinds (tailstock drilling chuck? hollow centre for boring?) and any essential upgrades (Axi locking levers? Different size drives? chucks? faceplates?)

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are new to turning, then a prong drive and live centre is enough to get started. Personally, I would try some random curves in a 3" or so piece of wood to start with, the diameter of pens might be tricky to work on to begin with.

I believe there are special tools to hold a pen blank in the lathe, I am sure other members can help (I have not done pens before myself).

Thanks.

A quick update: the 4-prong drive is very blunt and rusty, so will need to be replaced - any suggestions? Just need to remove the pipper from the head.

Several places you can get them from online. You need to make sure you purchase one with the correct size Morse taper, I believe your lathe has MT1 taper at both ends.

Axminster, The Toolpost, Turners retreat are a good place to start.

Does the thread protector push the drive centre out as it unscrews? That's how my CL2 works, but someone who knows better may be along shortly....
G

The DML 24 is a 1 morse taper and the thread is 3/4" x 16. There should be a thread protector/ extractor fitted before putting anything in the headstock spindle as it's not hollow to knock out. If there's not one on yours then you will need to get one as you will struggle to get anything out without it. I have a PDF copy of the manual I can send you. Just found out I can upload it. (I think).
happy turning
Steve

Attachments

• DML24X MK2 Manual.pdf
    515.6 KB · Views: 100
I would highly recommend a Stebcentre as a replacement for the four prong drive. It is a very forgiving drive centre and ideal for a new turner.

The centres in phil.p's link look similar to genuine stebcentres but don't look as well made. I've never used one of these and can't say how they perform. They are certainly cheaper than genuine stebs but...maybe you get what you pay for?

The original Steb centres were reportedly very well made but after Sorby got hold of the production, the quality dropped off.
I've been using the SCT Crown (Steb) drives for a couple of years.
I would place the SCT quality about the same as the Sorby but at (under ?) half the price.
My go to drives come from the SCT 7pc set (Ref: 51209S03) which comprises of a threaded body, 3 sizes of crown (Steb) drives & 3 sizes of 4 prong drives. The drive heads have a flange which can be gripped in a conventional four jaw chuck rather than being threaded into the body. This makes for a quick removal or size change.
All the drive heads have spring loaded centre points.
- https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/SCT ... s-etc.html

I also use the Chronos drive kit, although my lathe does not have a 33mm spindle I just clamp the 'body' in one of my 4 Jaw chucks fitted with plain 'metal work' jaws and use it that way.

Have had no problems it's done all I need and I have no complaints on quality.
Would expect the stand alone versions to be of similar standard.
chronosdrives.jpg

Attachments

• chronosdrives.jpg
    chronosdrives.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 596

Latest posts

Back