New Window recommendatons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
The windows in y house are coming to the end of the line - early 1980's, narrow gap and beginning to rot out. Anyone knowof a good brand? To slightly complicate matters its a victorian schoolhouse and although my neighbours have gone for any old pvc I'd really like something more in keeping with the architecture. PVC casement ideally.

I don't know why you are asking the question as you know the answer is they have to be made of timber to match the original style and made by either yourself or the local joiner..... :D :D :D

mbartlett99":qdkvv6gz said:
...... its a victorian schoolhouse............I'd really like something more in keeping with the architecture. PVC casement ideally.

There is no uPVC window that is in keeping with a Victorian building.

And there's research around now to show that the actual life in service of many upvc windows is less than 20 years.

I agree, there is nothing that joins together the words "victorian" and "upvc".

If you have the workshop space this is a terrific woodworking project. Even if you factor in say £2K for additional tools (like I did) you will still come out well on top if you make them yourself (just don't price your own time in :twisted: )

If you make them yourself, you can make them exactly how you want them, and use the best materials. To give you an idea, it took me around 200-230 hours to make and paint 7 traditional box sash windows from rough-sawn accoya planks.

Back