New "Toys" for the lady......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
Now this will show how a females mind works.....I was trying to decide between the Dewalt 734 and the 735......I bought a Delta 13" two speed planer today......Posts listing problems with the Dewalt made me think twice.
I ended up purchasing from a Jet/Delta dealer so if problems arise...I can take it back. They are also authorized to work on them and showed me how to use it. I also bought a DeltaAP400 dust collector to go with it. One other item found it way into my car....a Jet sander/buffer and the stand. Went over my spending limit by about $150.00.....now I gotta go get some orders to pay for it before the credit card bill comes in.....lol
But I'm a happy camper......
Lin

Lin
Way to go! Whats your ole man gonna say about buyin all them tools. :)
A suggestion. Get thee a garbage can and make a lid with two holes and a divider betweenthe holes (like a T ) to go between the ap400 and the planer. Holds a lot more sawdust and easier to empty.. The bag on the AP400 doesn't have avery big opening and can be a pain to empty. ALso if your going to plane stuff like maple you may want to cut out the bars in the intake side of the fan. Stringy stuff get s caught on them and plugs things up. ANd they really don't work to stop anything big anyway.
Enjoy!

Yes I had to cut off those bars at the end of the intake pipe and I've never touched maple, it will clog up the machine with almost any wood.
I suppose its put there to stop large debris smashing up the fan.

Slim, I will need futher explanation about the garbage can thing.....metal or plastic....cut the holes in the existing lid......You got a pic or instructions to help? What does the the can do? You hook dust collector hose to it and another in the other hole to planer? Explain a bit more please.
Hubby said "Girl.you are always complaining about having to work a Saturday and now you will have to do just that to cover the $$ you don't have"......As long as I have the bucks when the bill comes in......I'm not in the dog house.....
If I cut the bars off.......wouldn't larger pieces get thru and damage the fan?
I'm hoping to use this dust collector on the lathe and our ringmaster also. (will have to find a way to hold the hose up to behind the lathe and off to the side of the ringmaster....(lots of dust from the ringmaster when sanding)) Up until this purchase we have been using a shop vac system that doesn't work very well and is extrememly loud. I have ear muffs but thinking I purchased wrong ones.......They don't seem to cut the noise level as much as I want.....Help. What decibel.......should I be looking for to purchase for hearing protection. Any links to what I need to purchase will be apprecaited. Remember I'm in the USA.....I do buy online from Woodcraft and LeeValley and a few others.
See what you started...more ?????
Looking forward to the info.
Lin

Lin I think Slim is referring to something like thisthat fits on a standard waste bin (or the equivalent)

The bulk of the coarse waste then ends up in this bin and only the fine dust in your extractor bag.

I think I understand now. Gotta find the item in the states now. Should be able to. The lid just has those two hook up ports on it......There isn't anything under the lid that does anything...right? Its bascally a gravity thing. All waste goes in but only the lightweight stuff comes back out into the collector.....right?
Lin

Lin":2855kttm said:
I think I understand now. Gotta find the item in the states now. Should be able to. The lid just has those two hook up ports on it......There isn't anything under the lid that does anything...right? Its bascally a gravity thing. All waste goes in but only the lightweight stuff comes back out into the collector.....right?
Lin

If you get a plastic dust bin then you could make your own.

Turn a couple of 100mm (4 inch) flanged pipes and fit them in the lid.

Yes basically the big junk stays in the dust bin.
Some of the more fancy units have a 90deg. bend in the inlet pipe inside the lid to direct the junk in a pseudo vortice around the outer wall of the bin to increase the separation action.

Lin
You can use a garbage can, Barrel, Plastic pickle barrel or the like. What ever your comfortable with handling. (Planing makes a lot of shavings :)) Make your self a round plywood lid that you can fit on it someway. Mine are just held on with bungee cords. Hole in lid connects to hole in can :) Cut two holes that you can screw a terlit (toilet) Flange into. (Just so happens that 4" hose fits perfectly over a toilet flange the you can clamp it with a 4 in screw clamp. IF you put a short peice of plywood to act as a baffle between the holes it keeps the air from just going across from one hole to another and helps knock the shavings and dust into the tank. PAint the lid your favorite color and decorate with some little flower paintings (might as well give it a feminine flair :) ) and your done. A retail lid cost you 35.00 or more plus shipping and waiting. Yours cost a piece of scrap ply and couple flanges (4.00)

Hows that lathe comiing. Should be seeing some turnings soon Huh?

Back