new toys (444, 98, 49 and 71)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a box of planes the other day; obviously I knew that one of them was worth something (through this forum) but the others I do not know a lot about. In particular the infill. It has a ward iron, but I cannot ID it at all.

A 444 DT plane.
444plane003.jpg

A 98 side rebate.
444plane004.jpg

A 49 T+G plane.
444plane005.jpg

The infill
444plane006.jpg

444plane007.jpg

There was also a beautiful 71 router, never used, absolutely pristine. I didn't realise they stopped making them so long ago; this looks like it was bought yesterday. I think I was the first to take it fro its box, and out of the protective rust proof paper (which has done its job perfectly). I wish the others were like that!

Any ideas on the infill? Thanks.

Neil

If you want any help picking up any more boxes like that, you only have to ask!

Lots of infills like that don't have a named maker and may have been user made from a bought casting. Which is nice in a way as it means the value is its value to you as a good tool.

The whole lot cost me £200, which shook me a bit; I have never spent anything like that on planes. So hopefully it is worth more than that.

The infill, if nothing extraordinary, could do with a new infill as the old one seems to have shrunk a bit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil

I don't know for sure but I think many infill shoulder planes were produced in small workshops which finished off castings that were bought in. It's quite difficult to identify them. Some manufacturers described flat topped curves in the body as a "London pattern" while the more curvy ones are called "Yorkshire pattern".

What's the finish like on the body of your infill and the wedge? Anything on the blade? Could it be user made?

The one in my avatar has no makers' marks but is well finished and has "BENJ. SLATER. LONDON" with a "MATCHLESS" trademark on the iron. The infill material is very secure but just seems to be a tight friction fit, rather than rivetted. Perhaps a simple friction fit would be the way to go with a restoration job on yours?

I've not needed to do this, but if the infill is actually loose as well as slightly shrunken, my first thought would be to give it a generous going over with boiled linseed oil, wiping off after half an hour or so. This would give the surface a bit of colour and might just penetrate between wood and metal and hold it tight again. It has that look of a plane that has been too long in a shed or an attic.

Btw in case it helps, I can confirm that Tony Murland's selling price for the Stanley matchboarding plane would be £55 but he no longer has the no 48 he took to Westonbirt this morning! I almost bought one from him two years ago, and blow me down if he didn't have another one ready for me when I walked up today. What a nice man!

And that 444 looks fairly well complete assuming you have some compatible rods, though there would have been more than one cutter. Are you planning on trying to make it work, or was it an investment?

Hi Andy

I had wondered about wiping it over with some linseed oil , so your confirmation is all the excuse I need. I'll do it tomorrow.

As far as the others are concerned; I had to tell the mrs they were for sale. So maybe they will be at some point.......
I believe the 49 is a bit rarer than the 48, and I think it may or may not make 50 or 60 quid at ebay. Or maybe more. We may yet find out. I fear the 444 is strictly for the collector as it is a useless user. The router has made it totally obsolete. And it was not too great to start with.
I am hoping the 71 will make a few quid as it is certainly the best you will ever see. No-one could possibly have a better one as this is fresh off the press condition. All bits and instructions icluded and also pristine. The instructions have never been unfolded, I believe.
And the 98 is nice if a little grubby.

I am a chippy by trade, and like to use nice tools, but am not really a collector. I mean I may have a collection, but I can give them up anytime I like. I don't NEED them..... :?

Ergo the 444 will probly have to leave these hallowed grounds. Some day.

So, the infill; oil it is. And maybe a little clean up. But will it ever take the place of the record 42? If not then I may as well let that go too.

Thanks Andy, and folks.

Neil

I'm no expert on the others but the shoulder infill is lovely.

It's very dry...linseed oil is fine...and will expand it I'm sure. I wouldn't be tempted to remove the infill...it looks original and will come up a treat.

Yours is steel...mine was brass...

DSC_0001.JPG

I now think that the two rabbit ears are indeed casting tabs...but at the time I wasn't sure so I left them until I was...

DSC_0366.JPG

I might saw them off one day but I actually kind of like my little "ears"!

I filled mine with rosewood....yours may have been filled with anything the craftsman had in the shop at the time...possibly he bought a casting too and finished it himself.

...mine had no iron (obviously) so I made one....

DSC_0354.JPG

They cut beautifully......

DSC_0261.JPG

Best shoulder plane I have without doubt.....the weight is perfect.

I have another now...

DSC_0915.JPG

...I have yet to test this one extensively but it is quite an old one.

I think you did well there...just give them the minimum of restoration and use them with pride!

The dovetail plane is a real find...I love these things too!

Jimi

Back