New Toy!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Recently I have hinted at a lathe upgrade, so I thought I would show you all my new toy!! The only thing is its not new (Built in 1964) and it's hardly a toy!!

DSCF2015-1.JPG

My Wadkin RS8. Ican't go into too much detail as it will all be in my new series of articles in Woodturning Magazine, and I wouldn't want ot spoil the surprise. Surfice it to say it's a hell of a machine!!

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF2015-1.JPG
    DSCF2015-1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,239
Now that's what I call a Robust Pole Lathe, nothing Spindly about the support available there.

i noticed you sneaked that into a post the other day, i searched your posts and website for some pics with no luck. looks fantastic

adidat

I presume the coal goes into that door at the bottom Richard ??

Looks quite a beast !!!!

They don't make 'em like that anymore - Now that's what you call a Lathe!

Glad I didn't have to manoever that little ole thing

Did you have to reinforce the floor?

Is it your new demo lathe?....... look forward to seeing it at EVWA in October :lol: :lol:

Looks a beaut Richard, i was offered one 10 years ago, could kick myself for not snatching the chaps hand off for what he wanted for it :(

Cheers.

Makes my Wadkins BZL 6 look a bit of a wimp. Just out of interest how were you able to trace its build date ?

Rob

OldWood":14ux0oxm said:
Makes my Wadkins BZL 6 look a bit of a wimp. Just out of interest how were you able to trace its build date ?

Rob

Wadkin used the year of manufacture in the machine number on the machine plate.

Cheers

Used one of these in my job back in the 6os & 70s. Super to work on. The version I used was a pattern makers lathe.

Hi Guys

It will turn all of those plus this :lol: :wink:

DSCF2116.JPG

Easy!! :D

The date is usually hiden in the serial number, I can't be 100% certain but it's good enough for me! If I remember I'll take a picture of the info plate.

I would bring it to the demo Doug but at 800 kg + it's a bit much for my little van!! :lol: The workshop floor is concrete so no problem there, although like so many lathes it was made for midgets so I have it sat on 5" thick pads of Birch ply.

Bill, these were originally designed as pattern makers lathes, I have the sliding carriage and free standing tool rest that comes with it as a set.

I love it!!

Thanks for looking!!

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF2116.JPG
    DSCF2116.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 931
Richard Findley":32cyxsq0 said:
The date is usually hiden in the serial number, I can't be 100% certain but it's good enough for me! If I remember I'll take a picture of the info plate.
>
>
although like so many lathes it was made for midgets so I have it sat on 5" thick pads of Birch ply.

Hi Richard
No obvious serial number plate on mine - perhaps they didn't bother on the smaller machines. It might have been on the switch box which I've replaced with a home made control panel for an inverter - sometime in the future I might find the old switch box !!

Interested in your comment about machine height; not something I've ever thought about. Is there a suggested optimum working height ? Something like tool centre level with elbow at right angles or something? As my machine will be of the same era, are all older lathes (Graduates, etc ), low by modern standards and are modern lathes on higher frames ?

Rob

OldWood":1hoanjbi said:
Richard Findley":1hoanjbi said:
>
>
although like so many lathes it was made for midgets so I have it sat on 5" thick pads of Birch ply.

Hi Richard
No obvious serial number plate on mine - perhaps they didn't bother on the smaller machines. It might have been on the switch box which I've replaced with a home made control panel for an inverter - sometime in the future I might find the old switch box !!

Interested in your comment about machine height; not something I've ever thought about. Is there a suggested optimum working height ? Something like tool centre level with elbow at right angles or something? As my machine will be of the same era, are all older lathes (Graduates, etc ), low by modern standards and are modern lathes on higher frames ?

Rob

Hi Rob

The guideline for centre height is level with the elbow when stood up straight. To give an idea, I'm 6ft in my socks and my centres are at 4ft.

A good test is to stand with your back to the lathe, stand straight and comfortable and hold a tool as if at the lathe, now turn to your lathe and see how far your centres are from comfortable. You may be surprised!

In my experiance all lathes are too low, old or new, although some modern lathes seem to come with adjustable legs now.

All Wadkin machines have a black and silver plate on them, I'll post a pic of mine later. They have the Wadkin logo at the top and say Wadkin Ltd, Leicester, England then a Machine number (RS1126) Test No (37564) (which is where the date is), Voltage (400) Phase (3) Cycles (50)

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard - that's very interesting info on working height; I suspect most of us have grown used to the working height of our own lathe, though I have a club nearby that has a number of identical modern lathes and up till now I've never thought about the working height. I'm not sure quite what difference it makes apart from relieving pressure on the back.

I suspect the maker's plate on my lathe has been claimed by some pilfering student :x . I've looked at Tony's Lathes website and it should be just beside the Off/Brake lever. There's no marks on the body at that point so I suspect the label was just stuck on, though curiously the photos show it to be held with screws.

I really do wonder how you managed its installation - the 600lb's of the BZL was quite enough. I notice Tony's Lathes site makes a comment about the lack of a spindle brake on the RS, but perhaps you have yours on an inverter with controlled braking ?

Rob

I absolutely love that. Almost anything Wadkin makes me smile, and I have learned recently that a 'robust' lathe is a good thing. Looks a real cracker - what a very good choice indeed.

Hi guys,

Here is the Wadkin Badge:

DSCF2226.JPG

All Wadkins have (or possibly had?) one similar!

The whole tale of how we got it in place will be in a future copy of Woodturning Magazine, probably in about 3 months time! but basically it involved for big strong blokes (calm down ladies :wink: :lol: ) a 2 ton pump truck, the biggest crow bar I've ever seen and a good bit of sweat!!

If you look at the picture, the lever with the big red knob on the end is the spindle brake.A very useful feature, especially combined with the "clutch" pedal which lifts/disengages the motor, allowing me to stop and inspect the work without stopping the motor.

condeesteso, I have a soft spot for Wadkin kit. Proper machinery, designed and built before accountants got involved in production of such things!! I used to work on an LS Router for many years which I grew quite attached to.

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF2226.JPG
    DSCF2226.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 866
Richard - was it Wadkins that produced the overhead router that was used during WW2 for cutting the plywood bulkheads for the Mosquito ? I came across one of these machines some years ago - it used a 50Hz motor into a 400Hz aircraft generator to drive a 2 pole induction motor running at 22,400 rpm. Wikipedia has a lengthy article on these aircraft which sadly doesn't mention the possibly urban myth that they stank of sour milk from the casein glue used.

Can I pick you up again on the working height of a lathe query - do you feel there is some technical advantage in the lathe bed being the height you suggest or is it more physiological ?

Rob

Back