New Toy!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking lathe. I have resurrected a BL150 and I really like it although i would like a bit more over the bed. So if the serial number is Bl150/80589 was it made in 1989? Thanks to anyone who can answer this.DK

Rob,

A short tale regarding the routers. My grandad bought an early Wadkin before the war for his business, when the war started he was in a reserve occupation so was fine using it for a while until a nearby factory caught a bomb and the army decided to make use of his router. At the end of the war he got another router back, apparently a bigger one than he had before, it had the army numbers marked on the side. This router was the one I used when I joined the family firm in 1996 and used until we sold the business in 2009.

The company that bought the business already had a router and so sold our old faithful, I could have cried as it was loaded on the back of the wagon. If I'd had space I'd have had it in my workshop :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

DK, I can't be sure exactly, I would say either 1980 or 89. All I know is that the date is usually in there somewhere. I don't know between what years they built the BL. Take a look on the Wadkin site, you can download brochures and manuels, these might give a clue? I know the RS was built between the 1930s and the mid 70s.

The other place to look is lathes.co.uk which has a lot of info.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Rob

Apologies, I overlooked your question regarding the lathe hieght.

For me, spending most of my days at the lathe it is very important to get the height right. Spending only a few hours a week it is less of an issue unless you suffer with your back.

The thing is, because everything is so variable, tool bevel angles, tool rest height, your hieght and comfortable stance and the diameter of the wood you are turning, everything can be adjusted to achieve a good bevel rubbing cut but that doesn't mean you'll be comfortable doing it!!

A comfortable turner is a happy turner and a happy and comfortable turner makes better work!

HTH

Richard

Hi Richard
The subject of lathe working height is an interesting topic now that it has been raised and possibly one that you should mention in one of your articles in Wood Turning.

I'm a member of a club just outside Edinburgh which may be unique in the country in that it is in local authority premises and is a fully equipped wood working workshop; consequently it is open to members 5 1/2 days a week plus evenings and I can meet up with club members anytime. I was down this morning (Saturday) and the topic of lathe height was discussed. A shorter member did say that the club lathes were a touch too high for him in that he found it less easy to get a long gouge onto his hip and some actions he felt he couldn't get full strength into the tool because his elbows were raised rather than at right angles.

Now interestingly this evening's turning at home (in theory I should raise my lathe by 2.5 inches - I'm about 5ft 9), I reckon that the long handled and long grind bowl gouge I was using for surface shaping was falling nicely onto my hip bone.

But then, until you raised this 'bogey' I was never aware of that 2.5" between my lathe and the club ones.

It may well be that your 5" is significant but my 2.5" isn't.

Oh, and by the way, it would be best if this discussion is made in context - that last sentence could be taken other ways !! :twisted:

Rob

I find that Richards comfort zone is the answer for me.

My lathe height is higher than the commonly held standard by some 80-100mm (haven't checked in ages), done because back ache was becoming a problem leaning over the machine.
Taking a more upright stance and just compensating with tool rest height and tool angle solves the back problem, of course having a rotating headstock is a big factor in enabling this approach.

was wondering... then I found it. 800Kg. Not remotely surprised. Reminds me of a Wadkin bandsaw (resaw really) in a yard I know. It's dusty and just sitting there. They would sell it, I would buy it, but none of us fancy moving it. Got to be a round ton. They also have a Wadkin cross-saw (Fisher Price made the well-known radial arm saw, Wadkin made these as an alternative). It's on tracks, and power-feed. Has loads of safety guards, none of which are ever used or understood.
Is there a Wadkin fan-club somewhere... ?

Back