New Toy for Evaluation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A few weeks ago I was sent a new and unusual tool from the US for evaluation, it's an air turbine dental drill that runs at 440,000 rpm.

It was developed from the normal dentist drill by a dentist who also enjoys woodturning, it uses the standard dental burrs that we face every time we visit the dentist. :(
Running at such high speed it is relatively easy to use and cuts cleanly, the only downside is the noise, not very nice if you don't like the men in white coats.

The photograph shows a piece I made mainly to test the drill and burrs. It was turned from wet sycamore to 2mm thick, a pattern was drawn and cut with the tool, the whole lot was then airbrushed and lacquered. The piece measures 225mm tall by 175mm in diameter.

Regards....Mike
TaiHaku2.jpg

CC
That looks fantastic!!!!!!!!
How long did it take?
Do you have nightmares about the Dentist now? :lol:
best regards
Philly :D

Wonderfully creative and novel once again!

Adam

CC
Your work never ceases to amaze an impress me - a lovely combination of skill and design.

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words.

Philly, the turning and hollowing took about 40 minutes. The piercing was another matter, all the cut out panels are different sizes and for some stupid reason I attacked the largest first, but as I got used to using the tool things became much easier. Overall the piercing took about 90 minutes.

One problem I found was that when using the dental drill, the air that goes in to drive the turbine has to come out somewhere and the tool has two small exhaust ports on the top edge, unfortunately for me being left handed the cold air blasted into the left side of my face. Coming out of the compressor it was very cold and uncomfortable.

The colouring and finishing takes a bit longer because of drying times and I like complete by hand sanding so I get a closer look for small marks or scratches left from power sanding. The colour was applied as tints with small amounts of Chestnut's Spirit Stain added into clear lacquer.

Regards....Mike

Hi Tony,

I have to own up to being a closet pottery lover, when I visit galleries I spend more time looking at ceramics rather than turned items, so really I steal most of my ideas from them.

Some of the styles and shapes they use are hundreds of years old and, with a little thought can easily be adapted for woodturning.

Regards....Mike

mike what can i say its bootifull .

frank who has no fear of the dentist if he wants my teeth i just give them to him :wink: :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back