New tool - just whinging, or do I have a point?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiba

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got a Joseph Marples Trial 1 marking gauge and try square. Like a lot of people, when I choose to buy a tool new instead of secondhand, I'm thinking of decades of use and then maybe of the next generation doing the same, and this range is supposed to be the best that Marples make. I expect craftsmanship, in other words. It pains me to say it of a 150+ year old tool making company, but I'm slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the designs are extremely good - the gauge in particular is beautifully balanced and handles very well, but the finish quality isn't what I was expecting from their "very best". I was trained as an engineer and have done my share of metal bashing, and know it's half a minute's work to put a bit of emery cloth over your file to finish a job off right, and also that if you're taking the burr off a brass plate then getting both sides looking the same is a requirement, not an option. Look, I know these tools are going to get a few dents and scratches over the years, so am I being too picky? What would you guys do?

Hiya Chiba,

Sorry, haven't said welcome before 'cos you were deep in discussion about Jap planes about which I know nowt, so I thought it wise to keep quiet! :wink:

I agree with you. I'm afraid companies with well-established names have a depressing tendency to try and cash in on their history while totally missing the point about why they became a well-established name. :( Another Sheffield family, the Sorbys, spring to mind. :x

I'd be inclined to get in touch and give them the opportunity to correct something that maybe fell through the QC net. If it turns out that's the standard they're finishing to then I'd be very tempted to ask why they're denigrating the good name of their company, and indeed themselves, by spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar. After all, they're not exactly undercharging for them in the first place so how much extra would it really add to do it right?

Cheers, Alf

As Alf says, I would give them a chance to correct the situation by way of a gentle complaint first.

By the way have you checked your try square for accuracy? I have never picked up one that I found to be spot on and rather swore off try squares as a result. Mind you if someone gave me a Bridge City adjustable square I wouldn't say no - I'd probably even take a Colen Clenton if really pushed..

Hey All,
I went over to using engineers squares a couple of year ago after a long line of pretty but not 90 degree squares. They are pretty cheap compared to the fancy banana's too.
And once again, Chiba welcome to the forum-your advice and links have been very helpful for me.
Philly

Waterhead37,

I can say for certain that my Bridge City Tools adjustable square is right on the money and is an encredible joy to use, it has such a smooth action and tightens up with only about a 1/4 of a turn on the knurlled ball.

I'm more than pleased with both the customer service and the quality of the tools from Bridge City!

SimonA

Where would one find these interesting sounding adjustable squares ??

I am an Engineer in my spare time and have been using my engineers try square for woodworking...........Like you Chiba I was depressed by the price of a badly finished out of square, try square from the big names in tools..........They need to get thier act together while they still exist.

Bean

Howdy Bean,

You can look at these beautiful tools at:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com

I have a few more tools on their way for my birthday so I can give you a little bit more of a run down when they arrive. But the small square I bought is the business and has replaced my engineers square.

SimonA

That site should carry a warning - serious wallet damage may occur. I'm really smitten with their dovetail saddle square, but $107 is way too rich for my blood. Bah! :cry: I suppose I'll just have to keep waiting for the new Veritas one...

Heheh...Chiba,

It is a bit of a pocket basher I agree.....but once you've seen the quality of teh tools...and the design is just fantastic. I do have a 2x4 Saddle square.....and I'm just waiting for the dovetail ones to go into production.

SimonA

Chiba,

I was just gathering the URL to tell you too :D

An alternative to BCTW, but still not exactly "cheap", are the Colen Clenton ones available at Classic Tools and The Toolshop. I think I just might stick with my 4 different sizes of engineer's squares; too rich for my blood. :shock: Down another notch, or six, there's Crown's version as well.

Cheers, Alf

:D WOW :D those Bridge City Tools look like a joy to use and a joy to behold. Thats what I think a hand tool should look like. But :shock: Prices :shock: I may have to work on the SWMBO.

Amazing link thank you ! I have saved it to my favorites

Bean

Back