New tool cabinet or just build a saw till...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. I've just received 8 new-to-me handsaws. That makes 14 handsaws, 2 30" mitre box saws, a half dozen back saws and a couple Japanese saws and one stair saw. I probably won't be keeping all the additional handsaws I just got, but...who knows.

And my ugly handtool cabinet has definitely outlived its usefulness and capacity. So I've decided to build a new tool cabinet anyway (especially with all the beauts I've seen on this and another couple forums).

The question is, build a large, combined and big tool cabinet for both handtools and all/most of the handsaws, or build separates? Why?

Mike

MikeW":35ralanm said:
The question is, build a large, combined and big tool cabinet for both handtools and all/most of the handsaws, or build separates? Why?

Mike,
My cabinet is being built to house a collection of my best tools that can be considered "complete" (Don't laugh Alf) in the sense that with them, one could build just about anything. It thus has to include layout equipment, edge tools such as chisels and planes, saws and so forth. A somewhat morbid thought is that I would like it to be a collection that could be left as an heirloom thus saving some poor sod the misery of selling loads of bits and bits they know pipper all about to a bunch of sharks that would only gloat about the good deal they got on a forum like this :lol: :lol:

Equally I want it to serve me as a place to house the stuff I use all the time and keep it safe and semi-dust free. I expect it to start out looking more or less new but to end up with the sort of well beaten-up patina that a working craftsman's chest displays. It has also to have sufficient flexibility to accomodate the odd new tool so tool hangers/drawers etc. can't be too permanent but it mustn't look like pegboard either. Ideally, Studely's chest but infinitely rearrangeable!

These constraints put some limit on e.g. the number of saws you need to store. Of course if you don't want such a limit, then separates are your answer.

waterhead37":4vmpvxku said:
Don't laugh Alf
Too late...

Mike, well it's obvious, isn't it? You want the complete, Studley-esque/Becksvoortian workshop furniture for your ready-use kit, then separates for all the spare-, er, back-ups. That is: saw till, plane till, chisel rack, brace and drill theatre etc. Surprised you felt the need to ask really. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just about resisting the urge to open The Toolbox Book and start a design herself, but this ain't helping... [-X Mind you, neither does the link to this turning up on another forum help either. :(

Alf":448s3vid said:
...Just about resisting the urge to open The Toolbox Book and start a design herself, but this ain't helping... [-X Mind you, neither does the link to this turning up on another forum help either. :(
Yes, the pattern maker's chest of Leach's has always been a fave. And a heck of a gloat to boot.

Never looked at the Toolbox Book. It's one of those books that's been on the get list for some time. Maybe I just need to spend a buck or two. I've liked Becksvoort's as well.

And I've liked the overall design and concept of one of the PWW contributors, Glenn Huey (at least I think it was his). The issue had him and his dad each making one part of the tool cabinet.

But what design will follow what to do about one or two cabinets. And now maybe whether it is a freestanding cabinet altogether. Gosh, I hate making decisions for my own things.

Just making a decision as to what tools to put into it would be helpful. I have come to a tentative decision, though. Even though I am adding 7' x 12' to the shop, I will still be faced with a space issue. So for the time being I've decided the PM 54A and PM stand mortiser will be sold. The next few projects are going to be made without them. I'll see if now that I've used them for a few years whether I can get along without them again. Go back to handtools for those tasks again. But withdrawl pains are harsh.

But if they go, a freestanding cabinet would definitely go a long way towards housing most of the hand tools.

If it's freestanding, most likely it'll be in the style of early 20th century Danish modern furniture, rather than Shaker. That's my bent when I have a tuit. Just don't know what it would look like yet.

Geez. Guess I better go back to dovetailing some drawers.

Thanks...Mike

MikeW":3eiaknv6 said:
Yes, the pattern maker's chest of Leach's has always been a fave. And a heck of a gloat to boot.
Indeed. Everyone should have one good patternmaker's tale, and that's a doozie.

And I've liked the overall design and concept of one of the PWW contributors, Glenn Huey (at least I think it was his). The issue had him and his dad each making one part of the tool cabinet.
I think I know the one you mean; didn't it house tailed demons too? I know there was definitely one tool cabinet that I was totally put off 'cos of the sanding belts hung up inside the door where banks of lovely hand tools should'a been. :(

If it's freestanding, most likely it'll be in the style of early 20th century Danish modern furniture, rather than Shaker. That's my bent when I have a tuit. Just don't know what it would look like yet.
Wanna see that, so it's just got to be freestanding then. Isn't decision making easy when I do it for you? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Yep, it had way too many tailed things--for me. Obviously not for them. Hopefully I'm being objective here, but many of the tools and supplies looked completely out of place in a period cabinet. But hey, they didn't ask my opinion :lol:

Decisions...well, if you get to make [some of <g>] the decisions then there will be a few more to make down the road. Aside from the overall asthetic, there will be wood selection, joinery options, maybe even methodologies.

But I can see some of the overall look if I close my eyes...

Mike

Back