New to wood turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hazlewood

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm keen to start turning, have been on a one day course and have acquired a second hand ' Performance 5 speed CCSL' to cut my teeth on.

At the drive end it has a plate with eight equidistant screw holes and a large central hole. Plate is 100mm D and the hole is approx 16mm D.

On the tailstock is I guess what you'd describe as a centre.

I also have various turning tools.

I have taken pictures but don't know how to upload them.

My questions are:

Where can I get the accessories for bowl and spindle turning, centres and chuck I guess?

Are lathe fittings standard ?

I've got a mate who is a tree surgeon. I'd guess, as a novice, it's best to start with green wood. Which species are most forgiving for novices.
I had a very pleasant weekend using a pole lathe and we were working with Ash which seemed easily workable.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'd like to enjoy this experience with all limbs and eyes intact!

Cheers.

Paul

The pertinant details you need to concentrate on from the Manual linked to by Phil regarding obtaining a 4 jaw wood turning scroll chuck and a revolving tailstock centre are:-

Headstock Spindle Thread T04M (1” x 8 tpi)
Headstock Spindle and Tailstock Barrel Tapers No. 2 Morse

Paul Hazlewood":phb3kbpi said:
I've got a mate who is a tree surgeon. I'd guess, as a novice, it's best to start with green wood. Which species are most forgiving for novices.
I had a very pleasant weekend using a pole lathe and we were working with Ash which seemed easily workable.
I think sycamore's a nice wood to turn for starters, Paul. Maybe avoid really hard woods (the hardest I've found so far in a couple of years turning to be Holm oak and eucalyptus) but others should be fine - I really like cherry and apple. Avoid knotty bits at the start. Turning green is less hard on the tools but there's usually another layer of sorting to be done, turning twice unless you turn really thin fist time. And there can be a fair bit of clean up (sap) after. Air dry wood is great if your friend has any that's been around for longer (if not, start building up your own stock asap); I've never tried turning kiln-dried wood but guess it's harder to cut and relatively dusty?

Hi Paul,
I noticed you're in Bewdley. I'm in Stourbridge and I have the Foundation Course book, which I'm happy to lend you, if you like. I've dug out a coupe of other books, including Turning Green Wood by Mike O'Donnell.

Although I do want them back, you're welcome to come and grab them any time. Just PM me and we can sort out a socially distanced appropriate handover :wink:
Cheers
Greg

Back