New to using a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Steve

Reaction score
Evening all, as stated in title I am new to the world of wood lathes. The problem I'm having is I'm after a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe which has a 3/4 shaft. So far I'm drawing a blank as to what I need as the one's I have looked at require back plates. I've a rough understanding but obviously not enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Big Steve and welcome! First step is to work out the exact spindle thread you have, if it's 3/4" diameter it is likely 16 threads per inch but may be different. Once you know this you should be able to find a chuck with the correct thread, either with a backplate or sometimes a small threaded insert goes in the back of the chuck.

I suspect that you are looking at the wrong thing, and are instead looking at engineering chucks. There may be others but other than the versachuck, woodturning chucks generally don't have backplates but have inserts or are directly threaded. Have a look at record Ower, charnwood, Axminster and take it from there.

I would post details of the lathe that you have, we can probably identify the thread for you if it is a common one.

I suspect that you are looking at the wrong thing, and are instead looking at engineering chucks. There may be others but other than the versachuck, woodturning chucks generally don't have backplates but have inserts or are directly threaded. Have a look at record Ower, charnwood, Axminster and take it from there.

I would post details of the lathe that you have, we can probably identify the thread for you if it is a common one.
Thankyou for prompt reply I have a hilta 900 lathe

I suspect the name is Hilka not Hilta.
You are looking for a 4 jaw scroll chuck. The scroll means the jaws are self centering rather than independent.
Some chucks have the thread machined directly in the chuck. Others have changeable inserts whilst yet others have changeable backplates.
The advantage of a changeable insert or backplate becomes obvious when you change your lathe to one with a different thread.

After your suggestions I've now taken a different approach and have hopefully ordered the correct parts I need ! Will update when they arrive.
Thanks again

On a different subject I have same issue as another member in that the variable speed adjuster is pretty much useless, I was wondering is there a way to possibly fit step pulleys ? Or if there is a kind of all round speed I could try to set it to ?

There is no such thing as an all round speed unless you take the lowest common denominator being the biggest diameter piece of wood you will ever put on the lathe and set the speed for that. For example, if your biggest piece is 12" you could set the speed to 500rpm and leave it there (assuming everything you ever mount on the lathe is properly balanced). Then if you mount a small spindle of 2 or 3 inches, you will find the lathe is running far too slow to cut at a reasonable rate.

If the variable pulleys are causing problems, try either a strip down/reassembly with greasing all the moving bits or if it looks reasonable, a quick clean, regrease and exercise the pulleys to see if they move as desired. Remember this type of pulley should only be adjusted with the lathe running so it's important to set the speed to minimum before mounting a new piece of wood.

There is no such thing as an all round speed unless you take the lowest common denominator being the biggest diameter piece of wood you will ever put on the lathe and set the speed for that. For example, if your biggest piece is 12" you could set the speed to 500rpm and leave it there (assuming everything you ever mount on the lathe is properly balanced). Then if you mount a small spindle of 2 or 3 inches, you will find the lathe is running far too slow to cut at a reasonable rate.

If the variable pulleys are causing problems, try either a strip down/reassembly with greasing all the moving bits or if it looks reasonable, a quick clean, regrease and exercise the pulleys to see if they move as desired. Remember this type of pulley should only be adjusted with the lathe running so it's important to set the speed to minimum before mounting a new piece of wood.
The problem I have is the bearing/adjuster has broken up and also spins when lathe is on so makes it useless, I am also struggling to find another lathe with same set up to see if I can use parts from a different brand.

Back