New to turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
New to the world of turning, and been simply 'mucking' about - trying different tools and using up loads of old scrap. Been watching a few DVD's and read a couple of books, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a LEFTY... All the instructions etc are all for you right handers out there...

Looking forward to replies....

Chris

As a right hander there are times when I need to turn left handed , It does feel strange but I get by

Looks like you need to adapt to being a right hander as well :wink:

Sammo...

In my world there is no such thing as a 'lefty' as you put it.....

i'm left handed.... and proud of it. just because you write with your left hand doesn't mean you have to do everything with your left hand.... i'd like to bet that your mouse isn't in your left hand :lol:

as the others have said... you will learn to use both (hammer) (hammer)

Nick

Sammo,
+1 for above advice - I am a real novice and find switching hands for eg different sides of beads has really helped tool control - keep at it and get some tuition / join a club.
Most of all, enjoy it!
Cheers,
Greg

I am the only right handed person in my family and because of the way my family done things I automatically do a lot of things left-handed like eating, painting to name a few and in woodturning it has turned out to be a real boom because of the amount of times you change hands when turning it is especially useful when one hand or am begins to ache and at 70 that now happens quite often LOL

I am right handed, but sometimes reverse the lathe and use the other wing of the bowl gouge, that way I cut my sharpening in half. It's strange at first but becomes easier.

Regards

I'm not a good turner so maybe best to ignore what I say but I find I can turn either way and often do. I turn mostly bowls and make an effort to keep much of the action with the movement of my body, less with the arms. There is the height of the handle and the rotation of the handle but everything else is done with body movement. I try to keep the handle tucked into my side and almost always turn outboard.

BM

Hi all - Thanks, for the advice; as a Left hander I am pretty ambidextrous, and found that turning means that you do have to use both hands, and really enjoying it - just wanted to know if there were any gottcha's like dust being directed into your face like my circular saw.

Ps Nick - I am not proud to be left handed, I am left handed, and actually enjoy being left handed, as often you have to think / do things differently -
and the mouse is always in my left hand, but the buttons remain set up for right! As always it's always a compromise....

NikNak":2r145xag said:
Sammo...

as the others have said... you will learn to use both (hammer) (hammer)

Nick

That's what happened to my Dad when was at skool in the 30's, went in as a "lefty", came out ambidextrous and with cauliflower ears! :shock:

Wonder when they stopped doing that? :?

I'm very strongly left handed, but have never noticed any major issues in turning. I generally hold the tool handle in my left hand for spindle work, but not exclusively. It's more of mix for the outside of bowls, and in my right hand for the insides. I'm a relative beginner, and expect the right hand to be used more as I learn.

Al

I'm right handed, but at the moment left handed until I get the use of my right hand again. Should start tomorrow when I see the surgeon who used a hammer and chisel to remove my scaphoid :shock: :shock: and then a drill and screw driver to nail a few bones together, but that is besides the point!

Turning, I taught myself to use both hands. So much easier.

One thing about reversing the spin and turning from the other side. If your chuck is screwed on then make sure that you have a lock screw on the chuck and that it doesn't unscrew on you! You could finish up with a lap full of wood at 2000 rpm :shock: :shock: :shock: Also, remember to undo that lock screw before you remove the chuck. It's difficult if you don't :oops: :oops:

Back