New to turning, initial project help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbeast

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bought myself a Record/Coronet Major, i think it is post-'76, comes with various face plates and a screw chuck and axminster 4 jaw chuck (not immediately obvious in their current range, so not sure what it is)

My first project is really to help out in my metal 'shop (i'm a part time blacksmith), i'm building a 2x72" belt grinder and can't afford ally drive/idler wheels right now so fancy turning some out of wood.

I've had a little go already to get a feel for it. Done a bit of reading (here/youtube/etc..)

So i need 4 wheels, 2 x 60mm wide x 60mm dia with a ~15mm bore and with 22mm bearing seats, 1 as above but with a slight crown to it (my tracking wheel) and 1 x 60mm wide x100mm dia with a stub for using a grub screw onto my motor's shaft, with a 24mm bore.

Could someone perhaps outline a suitable list of what needs to be done in what order, regarding the boring out and the final shaping etc...
I've got a feeling something may be out of alignment somewhere but have yet to have a proper investigate

Would be extremely grateful
Hoping this leads on to many more wood turning projects and hopefully some items combing both forged parts and turned parts

Greenbeast

As you live in sittingbourne may I suggest you give the show that starts Friday and Saturday at detling near Maidstone in Kent .

You will see many things of interest and plenty of demo's and turners to help you.

Believe me I was a novice a year ago ( well still am) but took a lot away from the show I attended at ally pally of which this has replaced.

Good luck and don't forget your wallet

I would suggest drilling the holes in the centre as the first operation. Use the hole to mount the blank on a home made mandrel or even a length of steel rod (you must have plenty of that around!) and turn the outside and sides of the wheels to shape along with cutting the bearing seats. That way, everything will be concentric with the hole in the centre.

Ok great. That is what i was concerned about.
I've not got a drill chuck, so i will drill roughly in the centre of my blanks on the drill press.

Will i need a live center for the tailstock, to seat my hole on? Or should a mandrel from the chuck be enough support?

greenbeast

If you are interested in woodturning then why not join a club where advice and help is freely available.
There is a club at Milstead Village hall. website www.orchard-woodturners.org.uk
Give either of the contacts on there a call and have a chat.
After the weekend would be best due to the show at Detling and their demonstration day Saturday.

Fred Taylor

Latest posts

Back