New to turning - advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have got access to a (good quality but not well equipped) lathe with the lend of some (not so good..ok poor) chisels & I'm really enjoying using it but I am not planning to get into turning to the same depths as you all are... I think...

I've read a few posts/threads on this topic & my main concern is that if I get a decent set of chisels (say Sorby) for £100 which is more than I can really afford & more expensive than the 2 sets of HSS ones from Axminster (but I'd hate to waste £80 on rubbish) how much more can I expect to pay for tools to keep them sharp? Can you point me in the right direction of what I'll need?

Also is there a good text book on the subject you can recommend please? I have Mike Darlow's Fundamentals of Wood Turning in my basket at Axminsters but I've bought some woeful books in the past & need to avoid doing the same again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Togalosh

+1 for keith rowleys book. it also contains a section on sharpening - whats required, why and how.
Its a question that gets asked a lot and if you use the search feature up in the top right of the page and search the turning forum for sharpening or grinders you'll have plenty reading :) (in short a 6 or 8 inch bench grinder with the correct type of wheel and a jig of some sort to rest the tool on)
I agree with phil.p buy your gouges one at a time. I find myself using either the skew or the bowl gouge 80% of the time, so the lesser used gouges can wait for the lotto win before theyre replaced :)

Thanks Nev & Phil,

..1 x Keith Rowley book on it's way & I'll be using the search option more in future (& resisting doing 5 things at once when online) .. I have modified a basic grinding wheel so buying another wheel shouldn't break the bank nor should 2 or 3 good chisels.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Another vote for Phil Irons book. I t would provide a more modern and attractive counterpoint to Rowley's book. I'm no doubt in a minority of one, but I find the latter a bit dated and dull. I don't much like his "laws of woodturning" approach, though I'm not disputing the solidity of the information it contains.

Ian

Silverbirch":2shapkum said:
Another vote for Phil Irons book. I t would provide a more modern and attractive counterpoint to Rowley's book. I'm no doubt in a minority of one, but I find the latter a bit dated and dull. I don't much like his "laws of woodturning" approach, though I'm not disputing the solidity of the information it contains.

Ian

blasphemer.jpg
:)

I have both books and they both have their merits but for the complete beginner its Rowleys for me.

I have actyally made a vey good semi circular cross section scew chisel my grinding down a half round file and making a handle in the lathe using a piece of copper pipe as a ferrel.. I also made a bowl scraper for getting under the rim by making a similar handle and griding down a large allen key to make a right angled scraper... old files are great for making scrapers with... I inherited a lot of good Sorby tools along with my lathe but my home made ones are the ones I use most !

Back