New to the site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulleyt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just joined the site and wanted to say hello. Back in the late 80s I had a small workshop space in a local farm and I spent a couple of years combining house husbandry and DIY during which time I built a few pieces of standalone furniture as well as fitting out a new kitchen. The workshop revolved around a Kity Bestcombi and the Kity 613 bandsaw which served my novice needs very well.

As the children started school and my partner wanted to change careers, I had to join the salaried world again and my woodworking got pushed to the back of the pile. I did manage to build a good sized shed at the bottom of the garden and transfer everything from the workshop at the farm, but it was more a storage facility than workshop for majority of the time until the end of 2015 when I was lucky enough to be able to give up the salaried work.

Since then I have cleared out the shed, ditched the Bestcombi and started to build up my collection of tool and machines and really enjoyed getting back to producing stuff with my hands (the paid work was with computers in an office).

I've achieved a few of the long term projects that have been mulling away in my head for the previous twenty odd years (I'll post some pictures in the Projects forum soon) and I look forward to developing new skills especially in the designing and making of automata.

I have no formal training but an enthusiastic approach to "finding out how to do..." which means that I've spent a great part of the last three years watching endless YouTube videos which can be a great source of one-way instruction/demonstration. But now I look forward to access to two-way discussion approach as well on this board.

Thanks, Trevor

Thanks for the welcomes. I wasn't sure how active the site was but after a few days checking the site that question has been answered.

There is a wealth of informatiin here and I'm slowly going through some of the postings to help with my initial queries. At the moment I'm planning a router table to fit in my table saw extension and I see there's been quite a lot of discussion around the price of t-track :shock:

I may even have a go at documenting the build with some pictures when I get started!

Trevor

:D Welcome, lots of sound advice on here (plus a little not so sound, but you soon recognize it and filter it out).
Look forward to seeing your work. :D

Bill

Hello Trevor. Nice introduction.
Look forward to seeing your projects. For me one of the things I like most is the variety of work that gets posted. From advice from the finest makers to 'my first spice rack heeeeellllp!' it's all valuable in its own way. There's some real experts on here and some proper hackers (like me) :wink: and everything in between. Most of the time it makes for a good mix. It's a big gee up to see both the aspirational work and the solo hobby man battling real life to get some time in the shed and know you are not alone.
Regards
Chris

Back