New to the forums!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumam

Reaction score
Just bought some handtools the other day so thought this would be a relatively good section for my first post on the forums.
Nice to meet you all. Wondering what you guys make of the Narex bevel edged chisels, do any of you use them? And have you found that they hold their edge well?

Welcome to the forum, calumam. Nothing wrong with your chisels at all, use them on some projects as soon as you are able.

Welcome to the forum.

Narex makes a good solid mid-range chisel that tends not to be overpriced, making them very popular. One thing to mention though is there are reports that the steel near the edge can be left brittle from the heat treatment and you have to get through that before they begin to perform to the full potential. Some users grind this off in one go when they first set the chisel up for use, others wear through it naturally as they sharpen the chisel the first handful of times.

trouble-holding-an-edge-chisels-t92860.html
https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/di ... ttle-edge/
https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/co ... _ends_are/

I haven't really ever come across a really bad chisel except from this one my grandad had. It was a fairly thick firmer plastic handle chisel but the edge would just roll over when struck into the wood.

All chisels can get really sharp.The only ones which won't are maybe some of the antique ones where the ends are bellied at the back. I don't know what it is about old tools but most of them seem to be abused quite a lot. My favourite cheaper chisel is the vintage Stanley 5001. The only real difference between the cheap chisels and the expensive ones is the height of the sides and the overall finish. I believe narex are pretty small so they should be able to get into tight dovetail corners

calumam":1saxerf3 said:
Just bought some handtools the other day so thought this would be a relatively good section for my first post on the forums.
Nice to meet you all. Wondering what you guys make of the Narex bevel edged chisels, do any of you use them? And have you found that they hold their edge well?

You fool! Escape while you can!! Run don't walk!!!

It's too late. You're here now .. welcome! :D

Narex? I have just one Narex chisel so hard to make sweeping statements. It holds a good edge, but I only use it for paring, not chopping. Seems to be decent enough steel. I would make my own handles. Good value for money overall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

calumam":1338ofv6 said:
Welcome. I don't know if anybody's told you but it's generally held to be good form for new members to have their inaugural thread on the subject of sharpening. You're nearly there with the chisels. Perhaps a description of which jigs you are going to use to get an edge on them would catch it. :mrgreen:

I bought a set of these bevel edge jobbies at Harrogate last year after holding ne I n my hand. I have big hands and I just loved the big chunky handles n these Narex ones, to me so much nicer than the feel from the box handled Marples ones bought about 1971. At great personal risk of mentioning the S word, I have found them to be easy to sharpen on my diamond plates (chortle chortle), and they hold their edge well in all the hardwoods I've used them on. Welcome to the forum.

I've been using Narex chisels 8116xx series from 6mm to 50mm for the last 4 years and they are my non whacking set. they do indeed have a need to be taken "in a bit" to begin with, which Narex themselves state on their site. The chisels are sold at a very good price and hold an edge well. Of mine only 1 needed a lot of work to fettle the back to how i like them. The only really annoying thing I have found is that if you have a full set like min and use them all a lot the printing on the face of the chisel wears off very quickly, apparently the chromag makes printing/etching a bit of a 'mare for manufacturers to make them permanent and I ended up stamping the tops of the handles with the sizes. They are well balanced though i do feel the 40 & 50mm could do with a slightly longer handle for their weight. Just choose your method of getting them sh**p and they will do you for all you need really. The lands of the bevel edges aren't too large that they get in the way for dovetails but if you feel they are then they do a dovetail chisel too.

i even persuaded SWMBO to let me go on a train trip to the factory while she visited a couple of museums for the day when we were in prague and got a couple of extras while their. I really like them and would recommend them to anyone

Droogs":62wbvlbc said:
The only really annoying thing I have found is that if you have a full set like min and use them all a lot the printing on the face of the chisel wears off very quickly, apparently the chromag makes printing/etching a bit of a 'mare for manufacturers to make them permanent and I ended up stamping the tops of the handles with the sizes.
An interesting observation - I hadn't thought about it before, but I have no idea what size any of my chisels are, some are imp. some metric. I've always just picked up the one I needed at the time.

I'm a bit ocd about putting them away neatly on the rack on the wall but my eyes are too bug****d to quickly differntiate between the 6/8 8/10 etc when at arms length on the other side of the bench

edit typos

Back