New to the Forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip Maker

Reaction score
Hello to you all.
I am new to the forum today and I look forwards to talking to you and most importantly, learning from you.
I have finally bought my first lathe after a spending some time deciding on what to get. I have bought an Axminster Craft series midi size which my sister found for me at an auction. I have given it a good inspection an really pleased with it.

Before I can start creating lots of wood shavings, I need to get some safety gear and a nice set of chisels so my first question to you is, without my spending more than £120 on some chisels, can you please recommend where to start.
I want to start off practicing spindle turning so I can learn my cuts then move on to bowls, boxes, goblets etc.

Look forwards to hearing from you...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-image1
get yourself a copy of this first (the newer editions have a DVD iirc), it'll give you some idea what you're looking for. Record Power, Hamlet, Crown and Axminster are sound, Sorby and Henry Taylor a bit more expensive and some would say Ashley Iles are the best. There are other makes that are sound, but avoid the cheap sets on evilbay. Some of the sets of six and eight are worth looking at if the price is right - nowadays they don't seem to include tools no one uses. Good luck. :D

Hello Phill and thank you for your reply.
I will get a copy of that book from Keith Rowley and also look for some chisels as recommended.
Thanks again.

Back