new to routing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starjump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
The postman delivered a router or laminate trimmer to me last night. (1/4" Makita DRT50ZJ).
I have never owned a router before. The only time I have used one was at a college where us students used a router in a router table once or twice.
I would like to keep my fingers and learn to do one or two simple operations in a safe manner. I thought I might invest in a book or dvd to aid in the learning. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please? Thank you.

I wasn't going to post as I'm not all that experienced with the router, and was hoping someone would share what they consider good content.
I have searched over the last few years trying to find more free information to no avail.
The most info over the twenty minute mark I could find was Jim Heavy, and the ever rushed Norm Abram.
Roy Sutton is probably the best info you could find, if you have the dough though.

Hoping someone has some more good sources
Thanks

Tom

About 4 years ago when I was first trying my hand at wood working I needed to learn what a router was

The 3 videos by Steve Ramsey got me going in the right direction

Plain basic instruction; just what I needed :)

LOOK

Mastering the Router, a complete course.
By Ron Fox
ISBN 1 86108 1944

If you prefer the printed word.

Bod

Thank you all very much! I appreciate your time.
Thanks to the answers provided I have just ordered a copy of "Mastering the Router, a complete course." By Ron Fox. It will arrive within the week. The Wealdon tools website hosts tips that are also by Ron Fox. Therefore this seems a good way to go to read and learn from the same author in the initial stages. Later I can look at some of your other suggestions, thank you.

Hi PhilP, you have read my mind! I will purchase the set of cutters that you recommend - many thanks.

When youre ready to start routing a piece of wood. do a dry run. NO POWER! hold the router and run it along the piece just like the real thing.
Look for possible obstacles like your cable is too short to reach the whole distance, the wood isnt clamped tight enough, you cant actually see whats happening and most of all, your fingers are clear of the cutter AT ALL TIMES and so on. I still do that after 4 years of using one.
Power routing is a fantastic way to make stuff, but its one of the most dangerous tools you will ever use in the workshop. :shock:

+1 to what Sunny Bob said. Wealden are great people to deal with and a great resource. Trend have lots of videos and information of routing. They even publish a book on using the router by a well known woodworker, but my age related confusion means I can’t remember his name. It’ll come to me in the middle of the night! Be aware you have started on the slippery slopes. I have I think 6 electric routers collected over the years and 2 hand routers (homer)

They breed faster than rabbits. I bought one four years ago for a table with no plan to increase that number.
I've killed one and I'm up to five working now and really (no REALLY) want another. =D> #-o

Honest John":213kkus1 said:
They even publish a book on using the router by a well known woodworker, but my age related confusion means I can’t remember his name.

Alan Holtham?

I decided to go looking for more videos, whilst having a watch again over of the ones linked.
I found a few more but none were much good.
This suggestion came up, skipping through it, it looks like there might be some more tips hopefully.

Any more suggestions folks?
[youtube]bYn_uFTw3NQ[/youtube]
Tom

There's probably loads of other examples of poor practice to choose from but I'd recommend having a watch of this just in case you were in any doubt about how quickly things can get out of hand if you lose concentration.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xseF_8mUIJg

I love my router for the speed it introduces in repetitive tasks, but compared with hand tools I'm not a fan of either the noise or the dust. And I'll happily admit that I'm slightly afraid of it. These things are super useful but have to be treated with respect.

Back