New to me Wadkin LQ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solverson

Reaction score
Hello. This is my very first post on this forum. If nothing else, I hope this is of interest to someone.

I recently bought a Wadkin LQ. It came out of a pattern maker's workshop which had closed down. This machine seems to be almost complete with a full range of tooling and with the auxiliary (rotary) table. Other than the paintwork, it is in good condition for an old machine which has been used to make someone’s living.

I am looking for information on a couple of missing parts for this machine – namely the table stop mechanism which should be on the front of the machine, just under the table- any information, photos, dimensions or even replacement parts (for sale) would be greatly appreciated. However, before I talk about that, here are some pictures of the machine…..

It seems there was a rule that all old machines were to be repainted in dodgy colours … mine is cream. One day I would love to restore it to the standard of the machines that I see on this forum.
DSC08943 - Copy.JPG
DSC08952 - Copy.JPG

Nameplate – the test date put the machine’s date of manufacture during 1944.

DSC08951 - Copy.JPG

Factory fitted auxiliary table – it has a central bolt hole then eight index holes that the auxiliary table locates in every 45 degrees. The table just glides on the cast table surface – no bearing arrangement or anything.
DSC08955 - Copy.JPG

Main table is also in good condition.

DSC08945 - Copy.JPG

Tooling cupboard – also a factory original item I believe (also painted cream on the outside). I have numerous radius cutters – both external and internal - as well two cam-type hold-downs and four screw ones. The machine spindle seems to be a short no4 morse taper as the tool arbors have a taper of ~1.5 degrees and fit snugly in my lathe tailstock – just in case someone just bought a machine without any tooling.
DSC08935 - Copy.JPG

Now, the missing table stop mechanism….

DSC08977 2 - Copy.jpg

It fits to the right of the handle within the red box - using two bolts and two dowels. It must have been missing at the time of painting too. One of the table stops can also be seen in the blue box. The style of rail that the stops run on and the stops themselves match that of the early LQs (like the image below) and some overhead routers.
Nq8dH6M.jpg

I would like to get hold of an original replacement part but I doubt that will be possible, so the alternative is to try and make a faithful replacement. Does anyone here own an LQ or similar with the type of stop mechanism I am looking for? If so, could I trouble you for some photos of it and maybe even a few measurements? Equally, if anyone is in a similar boat to me and would like measurements/ photos of any tooling or parts I have - just let me know :)

Thank you for reading this far!

Oh Wow!

That's an unusual and rare machine, and remarkably well preserved too!

You might try asking Dalton's if they have the drawings for the missing part; whilst I doubt they actively carry spares (although it's conceivable that you could strike gold with a new old stock spare, the lottery has better odds), there's at least a chance the documentation was included in their purchase of Wadkin.

Oh Wow!

That's an unusual and rare machine, and remarkably well preserved too!

You might try asking Dalton's if they have the drawings for the missing part; whilst I doubt they actively carry spares (although it's conceivable that you could strike gold with a new old stock spare, the lottery has better odds), there's at least a chance the documentation was included in their purchase of Wadkin.

Thank you!

I have tried Daltons and I have tried Advanced Machinery. Both companies own different parts of the original Wadkin intellectual property. It appears that the recessing and boring machines were dropped completely before either company were formed- niether have anything other than a single pdf manual for a newer version of this machine. I guess this is one of the issues with old machines. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Try Luke at LNC machinery, he has a good stash of wadkin bits. Thats an awesome find with the original cabinet.
Edit - also, timberteam at leicester have a lot of wadkin parts as well.

The rotating table is a rare thing, by all accounts they had to be ordered when the machine was being built as they couldnt be retrofitted. I've got the older LP but I think the table lock is differant. I have an LQ table in the garden that came off a scrapped machine, Its burried behind lots of machines so I wont be able to get to it for a good while.

Try Luke at LNC machinery, he has a good stash of wadkin bits. Thats an awesome find with the original cabinet.
Edit - also, timberteam at leicester have a lot of wadkin parts as well.
Thank you for suggesting them - I'll give both of them a ring and let you know if I have any luck. LNC machinery actually have the LQ's bigger brother advertised - the WX Pattern Miller. If only I had the space...

The rotating table is a rare thing, by all accounts they had to be ordered when the machine was being built as they couldnt be retrofitted. I've got the older LP but I think the table lock is differant. I have an LQ table in the garden that came off a scrapped machine, Its burried behind lots of machines so I wont be able to get to it for a good while.

Thanks for your response. The rotary table was the main reason for going for this machine as I thought I may never have the chance at one again.

The LP that you restored looks like a nice machine. You can seen how the LQ evolved from it. The table stop mechanism's casting does look different on the LP but I wonder if the cam lever and pin aren't the same.

If you every get to the LQ table, please keep me in mind but don't worry if it's too much hassle to get to it. Hopefully I can find something that works in the near future. I plan make a set of stairs using my machine.

Congratulations on a great purchase. Like Wallace I have the earlier and smaller LP. Mine's a little older than Wallace's - being made in 1925 and originally having the motor at ground level - like the LR pictured...

Having difficulty with editing.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great purchase. Like Wallace I have the earlier and smaller LP. Mine's a little older than Wallace's - being made in 1925 and originally having the motor at ground level - like the LR pictured...

Having difficulty with editing.

Thank you very much, Vann. The link to the woodworking forum is an interesting read. I have just registered there so I can look at the photos- I have a lot to learn about these machines and how to get the best out of them.

In the near future I may have to post some photos of other stuff in the cabinet - many of the cutters need sharpened and I am sure there are some people here who know the best way to go about it.

With regards to the table stop, I'll let you know how I get on - I spoke to a man yesterday who is going to see if he has anything in stock so fingers crossed...

That's a very smart restoration, Wallace. Is there any difference in functionality between the LP and the lq?
Just the early LP's didn't have a rotating table. Wadkin made a much beefier version of the LP, I have a pic some where.

Just the early LP's didn't have a rotating table. Wadkin made a much beefier version of the LP, I have a pic some where.

Is that the WX pattern miller?

I've seen one in action and they're absolutely gigantic (but also useful enough for their intended purpose that CNC hasn't fully replaced them).

Is that the WX pattern miller?

I've seen one in action and they're absolutely gigantic (but also useful enough for their intended purpose that CNC hasn't fully replaced them).
No thats a differant beast altogether. the LP and LQ were like a poor mans patern miller

No thats a differant beast altogether. the LP and LQ were like a poor mans patern miller

On that point, I spoke to a pattern maker recently - I was enquiring about casting a new table stop mechanism - he said they got rid of their LQs because they were only really used as a drill press. Everything else was done on the WX.
He said the lq was limited in its capacity and that its head doesn't rotate.

Back