New (to me) scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, as of this morning I'm the proud owner of a (new to me) Hegner Multicut 2S variable speed saw, 2003 vintage. It was almost an accidental purchase, I'd been watching it on Ebay and it didn't sell, so when it was relisted with a 'buy it now' I jumped in.

Anyway, it seems to be complete with all of its original goodies, including 3 mixed wallets of blades - similar to these on the Hegner page.

I didn't find the description on the Hegner page terrifically helpful so I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on these blades. Also I'd appreciate some advice for blades (and best places to buy) for scrolling in apple, cedar & oak (just because that's what I've got lying around).

The first 2 packs have no specific descriptions other than:

MB00 || MB3 || MB5 || MB9 || MB16

WB1 || WB3 || WB5 || WB7 || WB9

And the 3rd pack, labelled 'For wood, plastics, soft metals' for the first 4 sections,
Nr. 1 || Nr. 5 || Nr. 9 || 130x2,5x0,55
and for 'For steel and non-ferrous hard metal' in the remaining 3 sections
Nr. 1 || Nr. 5 || Nr. 9

I've fixed it up with a blade, and made some small bits of wood smaller, it seems to run fairly vibration free across all its speeds, so I think I got a pretty good deal. Now the downside of having what appears to be a very good quality machine is that I'll have nobody but myself to blame...

Hi KevM a very warm welcome to the forum,you appear to have got a good machine in your possession.I have the Multicut I single speed,and a good twenty year service with only to replace the concertina spring at a cost of less the ten pounds.
It will only with practice that you will decide which blade suits you, I found that the original blades from Hegner were very good.I don't think that the blades listed are reverse blades.
I mostly use reverse blades because I do mostly internal cuts,if you do not have the quick release clamp.I would buy one,a some time you will need it.

Bryan

Welcome to the addictive world of scroll sawing. You have purchased a first class saw, which I am sure you will enjoy using.

The blades you have listed (MB metal cutting) (WB wood cutting).

As Bryan has said in his post, you will soon find the size blades that suits your work.

I keep all sizes of blades from, 0 to 12, but my most go to blades are 3,5 and 7 reverse tooth.

I purchase all of my blades from Hegner, not because I have a Hegner saw, but because their price is competitive for good quality blades, I always purchase at the gross rate to get the best price.

Take care.

Chris R.

As with Bryan and Chris I stock the full range of blades in all sizes but I prefer the reverse tooth ones too!

The worst blades to try especially if you are a newcomer to the hobby is the so called spiral blades that cut in all directions, they are the 'devils' work! :mrgreen: Only try them if you absolutely have to; and prepare to be frustrated! :shock:

Thanks for the words of advice/encouragement chaps. Funnily enough I had some spiral blades kicking around in a drawer and thought I'd try them out, I don't think I'll be trying again in a hurry!

Fortunately the quick release blade clamp recommended by Bryan was in the accompanying bag of bits & pieces. I've ordered a few blades from Hegner to see what suits, although as mentioned it will all come down to what sort of work I pursue. I've seen a few examples of scroll saw bowls that look like an interesting challenge - time will tell...

Unfortunately it's going to be a little while until I get the opportunity to play in earnest. Questions have been tabled in the house regarding progress on certain key infrastructure renewal and regeneration projects... meanwhile, the stack of flooring materials under the stairs bears constant witness against me...

Back