New to joinery - Black Walnut project, what to make

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusH

Reaction score
Hello all.

New to forum, I've been doing odd carpentry that doesn't require precision I. E. Sheds, deck, trellis, garage/shed (brick and timber). I'm a Civil Engineer by trade so know a thing or two about measuring.

I've recently impulse purchased a live edged section of black walnut, it's just under 1.4m long, about 300-350mm wide and 44mm thick. Only problem is, I'm not sure what to make with it! At the moment I'm debating a kitchen bench (farmhouse bench like).

Any ideas??

Or...... you could sneak a wee piece off the end of the board and make a friend a retirement pressie, like this coffee knock box! (No, I'd never heard of one either!)

Attachments

• IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
Are you going to be happy with just one kitchen bench? What if two are required?
And the thing with live edge benches is the bark gets knocked off quite quickly if a family is using it.
Thats a very nice piece of wood that needs some thinking about before hacking into it.

You might find inspiration in a book of "how to" projects e.g. Classic American Furniture edited by Christopher Schwarz. The rest would be down to your imagination.

AngusH":7rnl359r said:
.........I've recently impulse purchased a live edged section of black walnut, it's just under 1.4m long, about 300-350mm wide and 44mm thick. Only problem is, I'm not sure what to make with it! At the moment I'm debating a kitchen bench (farmhouse bench like).

Any ideas??

That's too short and thick to be of much use for a starter project. Have a go at making some stuff in pine first, and when you feel competent enough (it took me 10 years!) then you can haul that lump of walnut out of storage and make it into a stool or two, a bench, chair seats........whatever.

MikeG.":2reafyti said:
AngusH":2reafyti said:
.........I've recently impulse purchased a live edged section of black walnut, it's just under 1.4m long, about 300-350mm wide and 44mm thick. Only problem is, I'm not sure what to make with it! At the moment I'm debating a kitchen bench (farmhouse bench like).

Any ideas??

That's too short and thick to be of much use for a starter project. Have a go at making some stuff in pine first, and when you feel competent enough (it took me 10 years!) then you can haul that lump of walnut out of storage and make it into a stool or two, a bench, chair seats........whatever.

Sound advice Mike, but I'd also advise the OP to remove all the sapwood before he puts it into storage - Rob

Back