New to Forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,
Just a short intro, name`s Martin and I am located in the North East of England. My main hobby is building static model boats. I have a basic Machine Mart Lathe which is ample for what I intend to do until I upgrade. I have never done any wood turning, and soon I will be making some mast`s up for a model I am building. Does anyone have any tips on taper turning wood dowling, what tools to use and at what speed I should run the lathe. Thanks.
Martin

Hi Martin,

Not sure, but perhaps this page may help a bit. If you want me elaborate on any particular aspect, give another yell.

Cheers, Jester

Hi to all.

Just thought i would introduce myself.

I have been turning for approx 4 years, and enjoy every minute of it. I hope i can learn more from the people on this site. I have just had one of the new Record CL4 lathes delivered, and using it to its full potential. did have problems at first with the invertor, but company was brilliant and a new one arrived one week later.

I have been experimenting using powder paint, fibreglass resin and tapioca, it produces a wonderful coloured band on the edges.

I hope you don`t mind me putting my website link in my signature block. Thank you and kind regards.
Mark

Hi Martin,

I am working on and HMS Endeavour and will be making my own masts and spars. If you start with dowling, you could use either a skew or just sandpaper glued to a small block of wood, or combine the two.

What you have to watch for in either process is not to put too much pressure on the wood as you will then create an unround mast or break the dowell.

I would suggest to experiment with the speed. Whatever you are comfortable with will work.

If you use a handfull of wood shavings to finish off with, it will burnish the wood and give it a natural sheen that makes it look "work worn".

This works for me but others may have a better way.

Welcome,

Tom

woodbutcher1":1dadfes0 said:
Hi to all.

I hope you don`t mind me putting my website link in my signature block. Thank you and kind regards.
Mark
He Mark I like your website, nicely done with the turning pages, Which program did you use for it

McLuma

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Folks, have a quick goof at the dates on the first two posts - I think Martin's been and gone. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Back