New to forum from Sussex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I would join this forum as there is great advice and experience from you pros!

When I was younger I did a C&G Carpentry and Joinery apprenticeship but never took it further. I've made a lot of things over the years but have always wanted to try turning.

Last weekend I bought an old Sealy 300 swing lathe from my Dad's friend for £50. This included a set of 'normal' size chisels and a miniature set plus a couple of chucks, few rests and different bits and bobs to go with it!

I have already made a sturdy bench in my shed, got a light above and organised my tools in my shed corner.

This week i managed to have a few 30 minute sessions on my new lathe and have already discovered the joy of really sharp tools vs not so sharp chisels. I have turned square to round with some interesting shapes but want to have a go at a simple bowl.

What would you recommend I turn to hone my 1.5 hours worth of skill?

Hi
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Sussex dweller!
When I started out the advice was to get the Keith Rowley book and the video is helpful too to establish best practice with the tools and how to cut with them. The book is called something like the Foundations of Woodturning. It's methodical and thorough.
The best thing I did was to join a club. The closest is South Downs Woodturners who meet the first Thursday of each month - visitors are welcome and there is a meeting next week! Website here http://www.southdownswoodturners.com/
As to what to turn I prefer bowls to spindle work...

Hi Stewart.

Thanks for the tip of that book.

That's great - I live in Lewes, so not too far to Lancing, although I will probably go along the month after - get myself a bit of experience under my belt and get used to terms etc so i don't sit there wondering what is going on (like most things these days!)

I've been Youtubing an awful lot this week and have made myself a sharpening jig for my chisels to make life easier.

I'm attempting an oak goblet tonight (why make things easy for yourself eh?), so wish me luck!

Hi Stiggy
Goblets are a nice challenge! Hope it went well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there is a club or friendly turner near you then try and get some sort of lessons it will help a lot. Read the Keith Rowley book and go through the exercises in it. I know what it is like when you start turning you want to make something. If you do try and make something keep it very simple and work your way up.

Thanks for the advice Dalboy, I will go to the club that Stewart suggested in a month or so.

You're so right - I have so many things I want to make!

Luckily, I have a friend who makes bespoke stuff so has decent offcuts of exotic wood. I also have a customer at work who has his own yard and has already given me 10 bits of oak, beech, ash and joinery redwood in handy 2x2 section about 2 feet long on average and a bit of oak 4x4!

I have made a new thread to document my learning.

(hammer)

Back