New to carpentry, few questions on first project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeMiddleton

Reaction score
Hello all

I decided recently to try my hand at woodworking.. and I've encountered a few problems..

I cut down an oak tree in my garden last week and decided I'd try to make a 1 piece chopping board.

I rough cut a rectangle 8inch x maybe 18 inch with chainsaw and have been planing to try and create 2 flat surfaces.

I have one side nearly there and my sandpaper keeps clogging up on orbital sander. Is this because the wood is fresh or damp?? Any tips on how to sand efficiently ...

Also this first board has the grain along the length of the board, I also cut some 'rounds' from the trunk with the grain running top to bottom can this be used to also make boards? Or is it prone to splitting??

Cheers!

Your timber needs to season it’s full of water & this needs to come out, a rough guide is a year per inch thickness when air dried.

Last edited:
Your rounds will split. Your board needs to be left for a couple of years to season. Sorry to disappoint.
Thats fine I have lots of wood storage for my logs i can tuck it away for a while. I have some seasoned wood I can start a new project on, Cheers!

Your timber needs to season it’s full of water & this needs to come out, a rough guide is a year per inch when air dried.
Could I speed up the process by putting the wood in the oven on low for half a day or more to dry it out??

Your rounds will split. Your board needs to be left for a couple of years to season. Sorry to disappoint.
Any ideas what to use the rounds for? They range from 1 inch to 5 inches

My imagination isn't the best lol

If your timber still has its core then it is likely to split, more so if you intend to dry it out faster.
Best chance to avoid cupping is to obtain quartersawn material, and depending on how much timber there is, or how straight and knot free it is, might make sense to
process it by different methods....
i.e If there is a large quantity it might make sense to ask around for someone who could resaw it for you, depending on size be it a bandsaw, or if larger a sawmill.

If its only a small tree, and you only want to make something from a small piece of it, it might be worth splitting, but that is risky even with the best of timbers.

If you only get small bits from it, you can always make handles and the likes from, or even laminate some bits to make a board from.

Get the ends painted with some PVA glue or some hot wax today or tomorrow!

Unless you're a turner then the rounds may only be good for boxes, if the rounds are long enough ...
A good idea might be to see how easily you can radially split the rounds to obtain
planks from,

Peter Follansbee has some stuff that might be a good start..
(bearing in mind you have different oak, and its not plantation grown so likely not uniformly grown so will have knots from branches lower in the trunk compared to what he's working with,)
I'll see if I can find something.

Tom

Last edited:
If your timber still has its core then it is likely to split, more so if you intend to dry it out faster.
Best chance to avoid cupping is to obtain quartersawn material, and depending on how much timber there is, or how straight and knot free it is, might make sense to
process it by different methods....
i.e If there is a large quantity it might make sense to ask around for someone who could resaw it for you, depending on size be it a bandsaw, or if larger a sawmill.

If its only a small tree, and you only want to make something from a small piece of it, it might be worth splitting, but that is risky even with the best of timbers.

If you only get small bits from it, you can always make handles and the likes from, or even laminate some bits to make a board from.

Get the ends painted with some PVA glue or some hot wax today or tomorrow!

Unless you're a turner then the rounds may only be good for boxes, if the rounds are long enough ...
A good idea might be to see how easily you can radially split the rounds to obtain
planks from,

Peter Follansbee has some stuff that might be a good start..

I'll see if I can find something.
Tom

I'm on it cheers

You can season small pieces in a microwave set to defrost, heat the wood in short bursts and allow to cool between times, monitor its weight, weight loss will tail off as it nears being dry

Lots of uses for wood discs, sawn wood animals and snowmen, for instance, even seen table mats, cake stands and mug coasters, cut thin enough they are not so inclined to split

If it helps, you can buy a strip of thick leather. Place it in hot water for a while, then tack one side on, stretch it around keeping it as tight as you can, then tack the end. As it dries it tightens.

Ive seen Chinese chopping boards made this way. Might help hold it together as it dries, but as above, it really needs to be seasoned first

If it helps, you can buy a strip of thick leather. Place it in hot water for a while, then tack one side on, stretch it around keeping it as tight as you can, then tack the end. As it dries it tightens.

Ive seen Chinese chopping boards made this way. Might help hold it together as it dries, but as above, it really needs to be seasoned first

I have a large open fireplace so I'm going to have it near by and turn it occasionally over the next few evenings keeping it quiet warm.

Its started to leach lots of sap/moisture from the sides after 4 hours,

Its a little big for the microwave but il let you know how it goes thanks!

I'm in no rush to do anything with the rounds I think a chopping board out of my long peice will test me on getting consistent thickness across the board, good angles and edges, and a good smooth flat finish ect bla bla bla.

While you wait for your timber to season, just get some from a local supplier. Use it to practice, then when your own supply is ready, you'll have that wee bit more experience. :)

There's a lot to learn even if you are only going to make firewood. Some species of timber burn better than others and for longer. Some species spit and throw out hot cinders onto your carpet. Some species are fit for nothing else but burning. That there is a lot to learn about timber is an understatement. Welcome to the world of wood. Get your tools sharp, keep them that way and stop them rusting by using them. Above all have fun.

John

Back