New Titebond WW Adhesive - Not Kiddin'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a new one on me and I'm not totally convinced how useful it may be:

Titebond Flurescent Wood Glue:

As seen on an email flyer today:

"If glue gets squeezed out of a seam or edge and doesn't get cleaned up, it won't accept stain and you'll have an ugly blotch. Any finish is going to darken the wood a little because it soaks in; wherever there's a glue dribble or splotch on the wood it doesn't darken because the glue seals the wood. When I use fluorescent glue, all I have to do is shine a black light on it and I can see any glue dribbles - then I just sand or scrape it off. Once it doesn't glow anymore under the light, all the glue residue is off and I can apply the finish for a professional look."
Brad Becker, Woodwooker
25493-is.jpg

Bit of a joke, surely?

Noel

I dunno - I can see the benefit. I recently made two small oak tables - thought I'd got rid of all the squeeze out - certainly couldn't see any.

Put on an oil coat - different story. Had to scrape back, reapply oil etc. If it can save on this then it could be useful.

Who was the flier from?

Cheers

Tim

Interesting. But then you have to buy a blacklight (high UV output lamp).

Lots cheaper to rub a candle or a bar of paraffin along the joint before gluing so the squeeze out can't soak in. Seems like it makes more sense to prevent the problem rather than make it visible under a special light.

Dave R your a spoilsport

There's people out there desperate for a new toy...........sorry, tool

Bean

My apologies. I didn't mean to ruin anyone's fun. :oops:

Please, by all means, go ahead and buy that glue if you'd like. Get the light and while you're at it, put up some of those funky black light posters. :lol: :D :lol:
Giggles_Blacklight_Poster.jpg

I do hope thats not form the kids' playroom.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that clowns are just plain wrong!

Re your parrafin wax suggestion - my prob seems to be that I always manage to get some in the joint area as well.

Cheers

Tim

Or indeed watching the 80's classic sci-fi movie "Killer Klowns from Outer Space", the blurb for which was, I believe, "Why here, why now, why Klowns?"

:D

V.

My wife is afraid of clowns. She'd agree they're just plain wrong. :shock:

Tim, clamp up the joint dry before applying the paraffin. That way it won't get into the joint. :wink:

What's that DaveR, I've never heard of rubbing a candle along the joint, I use masking tape often on inside joints but this is a new one on me - do tell :)

Dennis

Jorden, I've done this for years. I use a bar of paraffin which is sold in the US for canning and other things. I understand that candles can work (I wouldn't use tallow candles or ones with a scent added.)

The procedure is simple. dry clamp the parts and then rub the exposed surfaces with paraffin. Then I proceed with the gluing the parts. I resist the urge to wipe up the squeeze out and just wait until the glue has hardened. A quick swipe with a scraper will knock off the blobs of glue. A couple of passes with a cabinet scraper will take care of the paraffin. I generally wipe down the areas with mineral spirits (white spirits in the UK?) which dissolves any remaining paraffin. If you use an oil based stain or finish on the wood, it will dissolve the paraffin and carry it into the wood where it won't be an issue.

One of the reasons I like paraffin over masking tape is it seals better. It doesn't leave a sticky residue no matter how long you leave it and it is easier to apply than tape.

Dave

Back