New thickness planer tripping electrics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B16 is pretty feeble for a workshop, now you’re starting to buy significant power tools.

It sounds to me like the machine has a high startup surge. 2000W is a nominal power rating (like a power ‘class’) and the initial surge could be many times the 8-10A draw, depending on the type of motor and the resistance of the drivetrain.

Get an electrician in to assess the circuit for an upgrade to a higher current/trip rating, and while he’s there, he can give the machine a quick check over. You’ll need an extractor running for the thicknesser, so if you’re right on the limit of your MCB, you’ll keep having nuisance trips.

Also, running an MCB on its limit long term will cause it to fail prematurely.

Not sure but it does sound like either a short or its drawing too much current on start up for the MCB. As said it shouldn't use more than 10 amp when running although it may be drawing more than 15amp momentarily when starting. Have you tried plugging it in in your house? If it works there it may just be an over sensitive MCB. Personally I would get it checked over by an electrician to be on the safe side . Someone with a PAT certificate may be able to help.

Thanks, will get an electrician in to look at getting it sorted. Just been looking through the string of emails and noticed the following.

" The instantaneous current when it is turned on is relatively large, about 20A "

So looks like that's where the issue is.....

Thanks to everyone for the replies, help and advice. Sure I'll be back on again in the not too distant future for more help!

All the best, Andy.

Personally I would get it checked over by an electrician to be on the safe side
Very sound advice, with the right test equipment getting to the bottom of this will be easy enough. By the way a PAT certificate is not applied to a person, you really need an electrician not an electrical installer.

Sorry re PAT certificate. Meant someone who is qualified to issue PAT certificates and fully test equipment.
Hope you get it sorted without too much trouble or expense.
Alasdair

Hi,
just thought I'd give it another go, unplugged everything from the circuit and it worked.....turned it off tried again and it tripped the MCB. Same again when I tried again, sometimes it works and sometimes it trips.....

Any idea what that could be?

Thanks.
I'm not an electrician but my electrician friends keep shouting at mme for over-loading the ring by having too many things plugged in via adaptors!!! I always claim the diversity factor ie all plugged in but will only be using one at a time. Seriously, you should look at the power demands of the machine and go back to the rating of your MCB - they are very sensittive.. RCBs are even more so. I was replacing a ffluorescent tube light yesterday as part of n=my shop makeover. Turned off the power but did not realise that touching the bare wires together whilst shoving them through a hole caused my wife to shout out "the tellies gone off"! Of course,this is exactly what they are supposed to do. In the old days we would simply say "What is that smell of burning"!

The sparky is coming later today to check everything over so hopefully should be all sorted soon.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies and help.

Andy ...
You say you 'unplugged everything from the circuit' - can't you expand a bit on that ? I only ask because I presume your single 16A (Type B) MCB supplies a series of 13A outlets in your garage. If you do have multiple socket outlets, do you know if the the circuit is configured as a ring or a radial ?

do you know if the the circuit is configured as a ring or a radial
Radials run in 4mm from a 32 amp protective device or in 2.5 mm from a 20 amp protective device is the way to go, ring mains are a legacy from the past. It will also make wiring easier and run tray, conduit or trunking with singles and not T&E to get low CPC impedances.

Andy ...
You say you 'unplugged everything from the circuit' - can't you expand a bit on that ? I only ask because I presume your single 16A (Type B) MCB supplies a series of 13A outlets in your garage. If you do have multiple socket outlets, do you know if the the circuit is configured as a ring or a radial ?

According to the electrician it's on it's own ring. I have 3 sockets in the garage.

just thought I'd give it another go, unplugged everything from the circuit and it worked.....turned it off tried again and it tripped the MCB. Same again when I tried again, sometimes it works and sometimes it trips.....

Any idea what that could be?
I think that could be due to where it hits the AC cycle when you turn it on, could be 0V or peak or anywhere in-between, so instantaneous current will vary.

Back