New Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom Brider

Reaction score
Hi All

I need to buy a new table saw in the coming months. I’ve had an old Charnwood 619 for about 8 years and it’s finally time for an upgrade.

I’m looking at a couple from Axminster, the 254LTS and the 254WS. The WS comes with a tasty looking router table extension but they appear to be pretty similar spec wise. I don’t exactly need the router table as I’ve already got one, but the WS is more powerful (4150rpm 2.2 kw vs the LTS 3850rpm 1.65 kw).

Ideally I’d get the LTS as I’d buy the sliding fence or maybe an incra mitre sled thing with the £1300 saved. My question is this: is the difference in power worth the extra dosh or is that price difference mostly reflected in the cast iron router table extension? I really don’t want to buy an underpowered saw and regret it further down the line. I’m a picture framer and carpenter, mostly making cabinets from sheet material and ripping long lengths of maple and oak and other hard woods to modify mouldings. Not exactly heavy duty but I’d like to be covered for most jobs as my job/business is a little up in the air currently.

The other thing to consider is to bite the bullet and get three phase power installed and go that route. Perhaps I’m overthinking this and the LTS will he perfectly sufficient and I need not waste the money!? Or perhaps there are some other decent cabinet saws out there that I’ve missed. The Harvey/Axm and Sip saws all look to be made in the same warehouse but maybe not? Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Dom

If you are looking at the generally imported rebadged machines here in the UK then try cutting out the middle man This company seem to be the OEM supplier for a lot of these rebadgers and a few you wouldn't expect to be but are. Also have a look at the Harvey Alpha machine that is now available here in the UK. Reviews say it is high quality for the price.

I think the first questions to help people provide you with good advise are
Is this for a hobby, or a business use?
do you mainly make stuff from sheet material or real wood?
What’s the maximum size and length of the stuff you intend to cut or envisage cutting assuming it’s real wood.
Do you need a sliding table? Do you have a chop saw or sliding compound mitre saw that does all of your cross dust at present?
Are you willing to refurbish an old saw, or do you prefer the comfort of a manufacturer guarantee?
Do you have a track saw?
Finally how much real estate do you have a saw?

I can answer the question about motor power. Always get the the largest motor you can. However, there is virtually no real difference in cost between the two motors of the saws you’ve highlighted. The marketing hype adds a value which is totally disproportionate to the actual cost of the two motors.

Unless your planning on running machines requiring power more than say 3KW single phase is both more than adequate and save you a huge amount of money, getting 3ph installed can be stupidly eye watering.

Doesn't look that way to me. Those guys are trying to sell factory type solutions using machines they buy in.
Harvey Machinery are based in Nanjing and Axminster deal with them directly. They make on behalf of others (I think they build the Grizzly branded stuff and poss. even Powermatic, and I know they make and sell Bridge City hand tools) but Harvey is about building a name brand of their own.

Think the Laguna saws are around the price that you are looking at and they always seem highly rated.

As Sideways suggested though you won't go far wrong with a used Sedgwick TA315, that would be my choice.

Last edited:
the standard for American styles saws is 3hp for a cabinet saw like these. I've got a 1 3/4hp machine that is capable and not really underpowered until your ripping 3 inch hardwood.
to many questions to give you a solid answer but I would think a shorter stroke slider would be a great machine. they are available single phase.brands like scm felder altendorf etc are well regarded.

If you are looking at the generally imported rebadged machines here in the UK then try cutting out the middle man This company seem to be the OEM supplier for a lot of these rebadgers and a few you wouldn't expect to be but are. Also have a look at the Harvey Alpha machine that is now available here in the UK. Reviews say it is high quality for the price.
just read this 'Harvey are a highly reputable company. They now own and manufacture the tools for Bridge City. They build tablesaws and other machines for many companies, such as Laguna ... which is why the tablesaws resemble each other'

I would have to agree with what deema has said, to get the best answers or advice then you haven't really given enough detail, are there things that your old saw doesn't do that you would like to do or you think a new upgraded saw will do better or do you just fancy a new table saw lol
I was looking at the Laguna tablesaws a while ago, didn't realise that I could buy one with a different badge, I changed my mind simply because of the room that is required to use one, they take up a lot of real estate as someone has said. For the work that I currently do then it would really just be a luxury that wouldn't get the use it really should do with that kind of investment.

They build tablesaws and other machines for many companies, such as Laguna ...
I will check that with USA tomorrow to let you know if there is any sort of co-operation, but I would be very surprised if so... I've never heard of it.
Laguna tablesaws/bandsaws/sanders/cyclones are nothing to do with Harvey - same in USA.
We are competitors really.
Harvey - China
Laguna - Taiwan
Cheers, Nick

Last edited:
just asking Droogs, how do they get /sell the stuff in the UK.....
I supose there is a middle man/agent.....?
this is not for me as I like old stuff Wadkin, Sedwick etc.....
but the newer members and upgraders....Ta...

Harvey have a UK distributor (Axminster) and with Shoot you buy direct and they ship straight to you from China. Bear in mind their quoted pricing does not include shipping and customs.

Back