New table saw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Having given up hope of ever cutting a straight edge with my Clarke bench saw, I am planning on spending a bit of money on a decent table saw. I read the write up on the TS1000 (i think) and have also seen the Elektra PK200 at around £600, probably get it a bit cheaper. Any advice on the best saw at between £400 and £800.

Zimbo

Hi zimbo,

As you know I've got the Scheppach TS2000 and I really do recommend it, I haven’t regretted buying once.

When I was looking the Elektra PK200 and Kity 619 were also on my list, in the back of my mind I knew I wanted the TS2000 (The most expensive, always the way isn't it?). What helped me was looking at the saws at a ww show, there’s the one at Alley Pally in Feb not sure if all the saws will be there as I haven’t seen a advert yet.

Happy New Year,

Zimbo,

I was also very unhappy with my Clarke saw and spent a while agonising over my choice of new table saw.

I ended up going for the PK200 with all the goodies, sliding carriage, etc.

I am really happy with the saw, it might be a bit noisier than an induction motor saw but it is not hideous by any means. I spent an evening setting the saw up making sure the sliding carriage was true and making any adjustments to measuring guides, etc. Since doing this I have found it to be an excellent buy.

I spoke at length to a couple of tool suppliers about this saw or the Kity and they recommended the Electra Bekum. I also heard that an Italian tool manufacturer, widely regarded in the trade as the poorest manufacturer of European tools, had bought Kity and since then the reps had become thin on the ground.

The package that I bought was the saw, stand, sliding carriage, side table extension, dust extraction kit and the base rail carrier system for £620.

I suppose the upshot is that if you buy any quality sawit will stand head and shoulders above the Clarke.

Graham

Hi folks

Dunno about table saws but we've got a Kity bandsaw and a Kity planer/thicknesser. Without the assistance of the members of another estimable forum (ahem :) !)I wouldn't have been able to get the bandsaw set up properly. Now that it's up and running, it's a smashing machine but the fact is that I looked to Kity for advice first and got none. Their website is lamentable and if you write to them they will simply refer you to your dealer.

The next phase is to set up the P/T and I shall probably have to rely on the goodwill of fellow woodworkers yet again. The moral appears to be that it's worth considering customer support as well as machine specification before making a purchase.

Yours

Gill

I don't have any Kity kit, but its not the first time I've heard bad things about their after-sales care

Thanks for all your input. My Clarke saw is now destined to be used for cutting firewood, although it probably won't cut that decently either. I think a blunt axe would be more effective.
I am going to go for either the Elektra Beckum or the TS2000, depending on the bank balance.

Has anyone bought or used a Lutz table saw. I have just seen some advertised at Southernwoodwork and they appear to be good value - even with the dreaded VAT added.

Back