New Table saw, How do i decide????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a table saw for my small workshop but can't decide which one!! I have read some threads about table saws but there doesn't seem to be a firm favourite. Saw needs to have a sliding table as it will be used with a hollow ground blade which i told will give you a clean cut both sides on MFC.

SIP 01332

Record 250

Charnwood 650 - i like this one, but sliding table has no support arm

Jet JTS 600

Who's got one of these and can anyone recommend one?? saw will be used to create MFC cabinet fronts, not heavily used.

PLEASE HELP as i want one in the next 2-3 weeks

Hi, I can reccomend the Jet JTS-600. I am planning on doing a review on it soon but havent really used it enough to give a good one yet. However i have been really pleased with it so far. The sliding table also comes off very easily so takes up a much smaller footprint when not in use.

James

jameslee30":f7izjmij said:
Hi, I can reccomend the Jet JTS-600. I am planning on doing a review on it soon but havent really used it enough to give a good one yet. However i have been really pleased with it so far. The sliding table also comes off very easily so takes up a much smaller footprint when not in use.

James

What kind of work are you using the saw for?? What made you go for the Jet ?? and finally with sliding table what width can you cut? Cheers

Shane":2fcwd9vs said:
Don't forgot the Axminster versions, sorry to add to the list...

10" version

12" version

Will the axminster stand up to the job?? and there not much cheaper than the Jet, but if you know that there a good saw then it's worth a look

The sawstop comment was a joke from another thread. No they don't sell them in the UK.

The Axminster table saw is an excellent saw. I have the AW10BSB2 with all the sliding gear and extra tables and have never looked back. Its one great piece of kit!

Just had a look at the axminster on and it looks pretty good. what is the max cut you can do with the sliding table??

Thickness wise its the same, length wise im not sure now as they sell the sliding gear separately. When I brought, you brought it all as one but the 12" had longer tables.

With my 10" length wise I have cut 1600mm right side of blade before and still room for more. If your taking about width of board then I have no idea. I have cut 600mm+ in width on the slider but that was with the rails in its standard location. The rail also moves to increase your cut width. It has 2 levers under which lock the rail in place. If you go for this I would recommend replacing these levers for bolts. for the amount of time you will relocate the rail its worth the extra hassle to get a spanner out.

Olivetree: I've heard good things about Jet, Axy & Sip. But never about Record Power or Charnwood. I may be wrong, but I think that's a fair evaluation. Also have a look on Ebay for 2nd hand ones, some real beauties come up quite often. There are plenty of threads on this site alone that give you a good grounding on each saw/ manufacturer, there is also a thread relating to how many people have got each saw on this forum 'Forum Users Table Saws' I think it's titled, have a look @ that to see the more popular saws among the members.

Good luck with your purchase. Cheers _Dan.

olivetree":2gxu4s94 said:
Just had a look at the axminster on and it looks pretty good. what is the max cut you can do with the sliding table??

As standard both the 10" and 12" versions allow full size panels (1220) on the sliding table in front of the blade.

I've got the axi 12", and I'm happy with it. It needed a little fettling but for the money it was well worth it, I find it very capable. I've extended the sliding bed on mine, I've also got one of these on it, and this arrived today to extend the table depth further and add support for bigger panels.

olivetree":1thmp00b said:
jameslee30":1thmp00b said:

James

What kind of work are you using the saw for?? What made you go for the Jet ?? and finally with sliding table what width can you cut? Cheers

Im using it for cabinet making so ripping timber up to 2" really, cutting down sheets etc. not actually cut a full sheet on there yet though hence iv not done my full review. I went for the jet as a second hand one became available at a good price and the build quality seems to be excellent. I also like how the sliding table is right up to the blade.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the width with the sliding table? the table itself is probably 5 - 600mm wide? but you can go as wide as you like as long as you can support it? to the right of the blade the fence goes to about 650mm i think? so you can cut down a sheet.

James.

I've narrowed it down to the SIP, Charnwood, JTS and AX 10"

Price wise the Charnwood looks a good deal, but i do like the sliding table on the JTS.

No doesn't have to be new, but has to have a sliding table. I have seen some on ebay but most don't have sliding table and i would have to pick up myself, but i would defiantly buy second hand if the right saw came up.

I have the Charnwood and can recommend it. The sliding table is solid and accurately tracks parallel to the blade. However, the cast iron table does not have mitre channels so if these are important, then suggest the Axi is looked at.
John

Back