New stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Streeting

Established Member
Reaction score
At the end of the month I am giving a talk to Tudor Rose Turners in Daventry, I will be suggesting some ways of using ‘place’ as a source for inspiration and ideas.

I am in the mid stages of producing some work that reflects the ideas to be presented. I will be showing a mixture of things including turning.

Below are a couple of 3” square colour/texture studies - parts of a forms or objects that might have been ‘found’. The intention is to suggest and describe rather than be literal. I have made several of these studies to experiment with ideas and techniques. They are an interpretation of erosion and found objects. Most of the work extracts ideas taken from beachcombing activities.

The distressed paint look on the sample pieces below has been developed over time but started out as one of my ‘modified accidents’ sometimes described as creativity.

texture-study-fin.jpg

Erosion-5.jpg

Erosion-5a.jpg

Good to see you are still exploring levels we of the mundane spinney world can only marvel at, but an inspiration never the less to think somewhat deeper into what we may achieve.

Absolutely fascinating, I really like the way the colour defines different parts that draws your eye =D>

I really like your pieces. Harmonious and fascinating to look at. Really interesting.

As usual your work intrigues and offers a lot of food for thought Philip. Can't help admiring someone who thinks outside the box. Be interested to know how you achieve the colouring.

Pete

Thanks for the appreciative comments - they are always welcome and provide encouragement. I am currently working on some 'jewellery' including ebony and fine silver - mainly pendants. I'll post a couple of these when I have completed them.

The talk I am giving is about 'place' as a source of ideas and a point of departure for things we can make. The place in my case is the beach both locally and holiday destinations where I beachcomb and collect or photograph anything that catches my eye. These objects and textures become one of my main sources for ideas. One of my local beaches is rich in material as the cliffs are falling into the sea and deposit fossils and other materials for the sea to work on. Stones, shells, driftwood and the usual flotsam and jetsom from boats and tides are also present.

Phil

Nice to se you posting here again Phil. Inspiration for us all.

The Suffolk coast is the one part of the UK I really miss and would like to see again afore I go. Honeymooned in Walberswick many moons ago. Got stuck on the beach (such as it is) during an interlude best not described and had to be pulled out by tractor (the car that is). I thought it was funny but my new wife saw the writing on the wall already!@! :lol: :roll: :shock:

Go to Warbleswick and Southwold frequently - great fish and chips and pint at the harbour after a walk along the beach!

A hybrid thought in this piece - somewhere between fossils and coastal breakwater posts eroded by the sea.

Solid piece with hollowing, part turned, part carved, Lime 12" high x 4.5" square.

emerging-form-fin1.jpg

Hello Philip

Good to see you posting on the forum

I Like your new work , sort of , modern , old , abstract

inspiring as always

Thanks for showing us

Interesting to see and contemplate how much post turning effort you put into your pieces Philip, certainly a high proportion of artistic input regarding finishing in relation to craft of construction.

Yes Chas, it is probably disproportionate but it is my way of enjoying my making, we all see things differently and that adds to the richness of the craft.

My pieces do usually start as finished turned pieces and just to show this below is the shell original and the turned piece before texturing etc. I usually wait for a while between finishing the turning and taking things further.

shell1.jpg

shellform5.jpg

Philip Streeting":1pmft4fn said:
Yes Chas, it is probably disproportionate but it is my way of enjoying my making, we all see things differently and that adds to the richness of the craft....

I don't see it as disproportionate at all Philip, I was just musing on on the difference in artistic emphasis that your work shows compared with the mechanical input that has to go into the preparation of some pieces that leave the chuck in a 99% finished state.

I love the shells, even the piece prior to texturing. Not very keen on the squares at the top of the thread. Never-the-less an extremely high standard of work.

Good on ya Phil , I knew you would be back to tempt the auld minds of of thoes who are nearly there ,the ones with one foot in the water ,you know what I mean . :roll:
I really like this phase WE are in just now ,I can relate to your way of thinking on this one ,see you must have learned something from me I knew it would only be a matter of time . :eek: You have put the artistic thoughts back in their heads once again . I can see them all coming home from holidays with suitcases and cars stuffed with flotsom and jetsom and all kinds of shells .
Love the pieces you have posted ,as usuall of your work the subject was always there but you have to open your eyes and your mind to release it for others to see ,brillent.
Would love to be able to be at that talk at the end of the month ,BUTTTT .
And Phillip fish and chips and a pint of beer :?: anyone would think you were ordinary , :shock: :shock:

Here are some other things, some turning, some not, I have been making to go with my talk on Thursday. Most are connected in some way with wood, the metal (copper and fine silver) is moulded from driftwood and other things. All are to do with ideas comimg from beachcombing.

Plywood and copper collage

collage-small.jpg

Fine silver pendants

silverfossil-web.jpg

siklverfish-web.jpg

Fine silver and american oak experimental pendants

pendants-web.jpg

12" panel

Erosion-7-web.jpg

Look forward to saying hello to any Forum members who may be attending.

Phil

Back