new stuff.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick catch up as I haven't been on for a while.

I have been trying a few things that are new to me. though not really mastered any to any fantastic degree, but I now will make more and maybe get them better this time.

I have tried
open segments

segbowl3003.jpg

Normal segments
showwood022.jpg

a bit of scroll saw
showwood023.jpg

colouring
hr.jpg

Sqaure bowl
Picture002.jpg

And pyrography
Picture004.jpg

So I haven't been sat on my thumbs!

Nice work Mrs Sliver

I particularly like the scroll sawn lidded bowl and the square bowl. :D

Thats a lot of different techniques to get your head around :shock:

Congratulations on the craft fayre.

Regards,

Mike C

Some very nice pieces there and excellent workmanship in various disciplines. The blue vase is not, to my eye, a pleasing shape but well executed anyway.
I envy your skill on the open segment urn - I have yet to achieve anything worthy of a photograph! Your design might have looked better if you had used the darker wood to create patches rather than a diagonal. Diagonals can tend to draw the eye out of the picture and away from the focal point.

Let's see more.

Richard

Well done Mrs S, some tidy work. Vase would have looked a bit better with a narrower neck. Like the idea of the last one with Jap/Chin writing. Always been afraid to put writing like that on any of my work simply because I wouldn't really know what I was putting on the piece. If I did it it could say anything. :lol: Could get myself into real bother. :roll: :roll:

Love all your work as always Mrs Sliver, The lidded bowl is my favorite.

Would you tell me what dyes you use for the vases, are are they simple enough to apply ?

Loz

Wow... ! a bit of 'everything' in there !
I too like the lidded & scrollsaw'd piece, and also like the closed-segmented pot/vase ... the shape is what I like there, I think..

All great work Mrs S ... brilliant to see someone trying so many different avenues of working... and especially so, when the results are so impressive.

Brilliant ! 8) 8) 8)

wonderful collection of turnings Mrs Sliver, my only disappointment?
not enough piccys. That pot looks oriental. Is that Japanese or Chinese characters and what do they say?
I know just how difficult segmented stuff is.
The square bowl, breathtakingly simple and very attractive.
The scrollwork plus spalting, a super bowl.
Very nice indeed, very well done.

John. B

What a rapid advance in skill and design appreciation you have made in the short time you have been tackling the spinny and related world mrs. S. =D> =D> =D> The combination of differing decorative enhancements is adding style to the individuality of your pieces.

Thank you for the replies, and hi Ligget!

The little blue vase was my first go at colouring. and you are right, the shape is a bit 'orrible. the problem I had with it was not thinking it through before I started (what's new??) I had wanted to use a plastic tube in it so I could use water. BUT did not consider the small size of the vase needing a thinner neck. DOH!
The colouring was blue supercook food dye and was easy (though messy) to apply. you need to get your finish clean befre you use it because it seeks out all imperfections like french polish. I gave it about 4 coats. I did buy some proper spirit dyes .. but can I find 'em .... can I ...... flip!

The chinese writing on the pot said 'respect' and on the other sides were 'Mother' and 'love' (thought it may go for mothers day)

Back