New sliding mitre saw cutting off square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently used my brother's professional grade sliding saw, I decided to take the plunge and buy a Ferrex badged one from Aldis.

Today was the first time I have used this to cut a couple wider boards - that is 200mm (I see in fact it can cut up to 350mm) and found that this greater width that it's not cutting sqare - by some 4 mm in 200. OK - find the instruction manual and tune it up. But there doesn't seem to be any way to reset the turntable to give an accurate 90 deg cut across a board; the instructions appear to address setting mitre angles, blade vertical angle and likes, but not cross the table accuracy.

Has anyone got one of these ? Am I missing something, but try as I might I cannot see anything in the instructions to resolve this. Interestingly I see at the back of the instruction book that Sheppach's website is given.

Rob

Don't have one of those but on mitre saws it's generally the fence that's adjustable not the turntable.

Oops - that is just a bit too obvious isn't it :oops: :oops:

So many thanks, and having slackened off the appropriate allen screws and discovered that the fence is slotted for this very purpose, I'm now lookng forward to giving my 30 years professional woodworker brother a hard time for not knowing that. :D :D

maybe he does and just doesn't like you :twisted: :twisted:

OldWood":2h6qfl3d said:
Oops - that is just a bit too obvious isn't it :oops: :oops:

So many thanks, and having slackened off the appropriate allen screws and discovered that the fence is slotted for this very purpose, I'm now lookng forward to giving my 30 years professional woodworker brother a hard time for not knowing that. :D :D

The 90 degree pointer is usually adjustable as well.

Droogs":avm3cn6y said:
maybe he does and just doesn't like you :twisted: :twisted:

Actually it was your gravitational problem I'm going to challenge - what you are failing to take into account is that the smaller the item is, the less air resistance it has and correspondingly the faster it falls :roll: :roll:
And as far as my brother is concerne, 'being Petered' on the phone is a well known family catch phrase!

Another common problem with sliding saws is that the further you extend the blade/handle along the rail, the less support it has, and any slight sidways pressure you apply can add very noticeable affects.

It's very common, even on the very expensive saws. The only one I am aware of that gets away with it, is the Festool Kapex at a lovely £1150 :shock: :shock:

Back