New shed / workshop purchase advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m shortly moving from Hampshire to Cornwall and will need a new shed / workshop. Unfortunately due to disability I am unable to build my own, I previously had a 12’ x12’ and am looking to get a 20’x12’ this time, does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers down that way esp. any that combine good quality with good value (I was a bit taken aback by an online cost of £6k for a shed of that size made with 3x2 framework and 20mm t+g covering).
thanks , mike

See if you can find a company that will supply one without a floor, and get a local builder to put down a concrete slab and a 2 or 3 brick -high plinth. Also, ask the supplier to staple a breather membrane over the frame and then counterbatten before fixing the cladding boards. Obviously you'll have to pay a premium for that, but it enables you to effectively insulate. Just with those two measures, you've turned this from a shed to a workshop.

M.M. driver,
that cost would be cheap if it were Cedar.......
there is so much dross wood out there.....if u go the wood route go look at the stuff....
was it lined and supose no insulation at all....?
I would put up a steel frame and use insulated steel panels.....all panels could be bought to length...(my last roof was 7.5m long (no joins) and just 2 of us got it up 4.5 meters, the roof was 11m long and we did it in just over a morning.......
a slopeing roof would be just fine....nothing complicated....
plenty of jobbing welders down there....
this equals a fast build and totally water tite in 2 days......after the base was laid....best of all no maintenance....
apart from gutters clean'd.....
it wont cost a bomb but use a Damp proof membrane and insulated panels under the floor....
askfor help if u need it.....

Back