New shed construction - some assembly required...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc67

Established Member
Reaction score
After having assembled a bought shed last year, I decided to have a go at making my own this time. I had a space out the back of the house which was 12' by 5', up against my neighbours extension. Originally it had a non planning approved lean to on it, which was flashbanded to next doors extension (without their permission). So that came down and I was left with a space to fill. I decided a shed was the way to go. So I smoothed out the concrete, and drew up some plans. Thankfully my neighbour is ok with me building the shed close to his wall (will keep the rain off his house if nothing else). It'll take me a while as I am doing this in my spare time, but I thought I would post up in the in progress pics here.

I have left about 3' down one side as there will be a covered log store, and water butt going there to collect runoff from the shed and garage.

First job was smooth off the concrete, then the timber arrived (390m tanalised tongue and groove, and 120m 63x32mm tanalised), and this weekend I started on the base. Was working dodging the showers, but the base is done now, and sat on 2-3 layers of roof felt under each runner. I have decided to screw it together with stainless screws rather than nail it, so we'll see how that goes - I can see many, many more screws being bought. Next job will be to make the back section, which will hopefully be done in the evenings this week.

Attachments

• Day 2 base.JPG
    Day 2 base.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 2,094
  • Day 1 new wood pile.JPG
    Day 1 new wood pile.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 2,094
Well the build continues. I have done the back and sides now. I'm making one panel at a time and then attaching them together. The idea here being I can get on with this by myself, as my loving girlfriend isn't always free to help :wink: . As expected I have made the odd mistake as I have gone through, but thankfully nothing too major. The only one that annoyed me was to do with measuring for the height of the sides where the join the rear panel. I forgot to account for the slope of the roof, so I'll need to pack the top of the side panels by about 12mm so that the roof sits flush on them. C'est la vie. The other side is also made now (was a productive day), and hopefully I can get the front done tomorrow - want to get this thing enclosed as quickly as possible really.

Attachments

• Day 3 back and side.JPG
    Day 3 back and side.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,880
  • Day 3 inside corner.JPG
    Day 3 inside corner.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,880
No comments at all, huh. Still, the blog continues...After taking some time out to treat the back panel, I've done a bit more work now. Built the front, door, and top, and I now have a shed :huray:. I got a local glazier to cut me a piece of glass to size, and made a basic door. The roof had to me made on the ground and felted there as well, as there wasn't room to do it when up. Took 3 of us the lift it into position. Need to sort some corner strips, and edges for the roof, but that's for later now. Just glad to have it up and water tight.

Been an interesting exercise - took about 30 hours in total, and would recommend to anyone if they have the time/tools. I over estimated the wood by quite a bit, but I reckon it cost me about £600 to make, which would have been much cheaper than a custom built one (which it needed to be for the space).

Attachments

• Day 5 completed.JPG
    Day 5 completed.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Day 5 completed 2.JPG
    Day 5 completed 2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Day 4 sides on 2.JPG
    Day 4 sides on 2.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,629
Hello jmc67,

I think that the reason for the lack of comments is due to the speed of the build. :shock:
You have finished before any of us got our fingers in gear. :) Said Dick, two years into his build :oops:
When building a shed, I have found that it's not so much c'est la vie, as c'est la guerre :wink:
Mistakes will always occur, unless one is a seasoned pro, but using sketchup can help iron out some of them.
Well worth the relatively easy learning curve.
The only thing that I can suggest to help, is to fit some square section at the corners, so that the end grain is covered.
Otherwise it's a tidy build that is fit for purpose. Well done. =D>

Regards....Dick.

Thanks Dick, yes I suppose it was a quick build :lol:. One of the bank holiday jobs was to fit corner strips - I cut them down from some of the left over tongue and groove (bandsaw job with one of Ians blades - much beter than the blade it came with I must add). Also have fitted some 4 x 1 onto either end of the shed roof to cover where the felt is nailed on.

I have a nasty feeling I have built it too tightly - there is no ventilation now as I haven't left any gaps. Will tha be an issue - I feel as though there should be some ventilation in there really?

Afternoon jmc67,
Given the lengths that builders have to go to, to make a Passivhaus airtight, I don’t think that you will have a problem, especially after shrinkage has occurred. If it is that tight then you can fit some controlled ventilation where you would like it.
Are you going to paint it, or leave it eu naturel?

Regards...Dick.

Makes sense Dick, will see how it goes with the air in there then, and ad a vent if needed. This was tanalised so to be honest I was going to leave it as it. Need to get some more pics up as well - must get on that. Thanks, Jonathan

Thanks guys. Equipment wise, I used my bandsaw (SIP 01444) with one of the Tuffsaw blades, and a cheapy Evolution mitre saw. Everything else was hand done. Thankfully I have a garage which I can use as a workshop, while the shed itself will only be used for storage.

Back