New shaft on a motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting.
I managed to bend a shaft on a motor, not a normal motor, but one I would not be able to replace. So, the only option was either to scrap the whole machine or reshaft the motor. The motor is only a toddler, around 0.5KW, something so small I wouldn’t normally consider reshafting.
So here is the motor with the bent shaft.

46BF1E19-54AF-4C50-986A-2A80EF0941AB.jpeg

virtually all motors have their shafts pressed in, and normally need some form of press to get them out. However, for smaller motors the pressure to push them out can be achieved by just tapping on the end of the shaft. To make life easier I cut the shaft as close to the motor as possible to reduce the amount I had to push out.

4733620C-7E0B-40C4-B5CC-84407DCEC2EF.jpeg

With a few taps with a hammer and punch the shaft was soon out.
This is a long double shaft with M12 threads in either end, one LH and the other RH. A new shaft was made on the lathe, and along with new bearings the shaft was reinserted and tapped back into its correct location
458B0EBC-39C4-4BF2-A40B-7521A1FF58D2.jpeg

After this, the motor is tested and balanced if required. A shaft without a key wouldn’t need balancing as the orientation of the key is really the only bit that can affect balance, threaded ends don’t have as such any weight variance.

Last edited:
Back