Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

New Section

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

What shall we do with the Tool Polls section?

• Keep it, but ADD MORE DATA CHARLEY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn it into a 'Market Place'

• Let's have a Book section instead

• Replace it with another off topic section. (TV/Movies, Cars, Sports or Music, etc

• Just remove it and don't replace it with anything

• other.... (post your suggestions)

• Aragorn's Suggestion "Forum Community"

• Neil's Suggestion "Jigs and Woodworking Plans section"

• Total voters

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no positive opinion on this, just please, no more off topic. It's already turning into the busiest board. C'mon folks, woodworking! Remember that? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
given that most of us here are self taught, I'd be all for an expanded book section, opening it up to all sources of learning info..

just my tuppence worth....

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Dump the Poll section straight into the bottom of the nearest skip. Could do with the same with a load of the stickies too.
Alf said:
" have no positive opinion on this, just please, no more off topic. It's already turning into the busiest board. C'mon folks, woodworking! Remember that?"

Couldn't disagree more. The OT stuff is a breath of fresh air. Not just the ardgy bardgy stuff but all the (mostly) quite interesting stuff too. Some of us don't get out too often........ and it's a great resource. Six very active WW forums and a single OT forum. Maybe we should have a Rant section too....and a political (Irish only...), no maybe not.......

Noel, still working.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts, for what its worth:
Don't keep it and try to just use it more. It ain't working.

Please, not a Market Place. Let's not encourage too much buying and selling here. I think it's fine when occasionally a regular forum member posts items for sale, but do we want a whole section for it?

Books. Not too keen. I like the idea in principle but I think, in not too much time, it will become as quiet as the current Tool Polls forum. Ultimately it will be just posting book titles and author. There's not been that much discussion of books in General so far.

Off topic - well we've got that already!

How about a Forum Community section. This would be a place to combine a whole load of stuff, including book recommendations, items for sale, meeting ups, woodworking shows, on-topic member stuff (e.g. enquiries into someone's woodwork, products etc). It would also be a good place to put all those threads like "For Alf" that seem to keep cropping up. :wink:

What do ya think??

A

Anonymous

I agree with Alf about the off-topic.

As a moderator I find most of my work takes place there and I would like to see much more in the way of woodworking discussion and a lot less off-topic - particulalry political posts!! (OK I did start a thread earlier today in the off-topic section but I can be cured :lol: )

This is a WOODWORKING forum after all :wink:

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'd like to see it replaced with a "Jigs and Woodworking Plans section".

I feel sure that this would quickly become an excellent resource and strengthen the woodwork content of the forum.

Cheers
Neil

PS It would have the disadvantage of increasing the workload of the mods as Tony would never find the time to look into the other forums. :roll:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Some good suggestions.. I like Aragorn's and Neil's.. I've added them to the poll.

A

Anonymous

Newbie_Neil":2suifguj said:
PS It would have the disadvantage of increasing the workload of the mods as Tony would never find the time to look into the other forums. :roll:
Add a jigs only section. Pretty please :wink: :lol:

reminds me I must post some pictures of.......

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I should like to suggest the Tool Poll be dumped and replaced with a section that pulls together the woodworking projects that other wise seem to get scattered and "lost".

I am thinking of something like WoodCentral's Shop Shots http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shots.shtml

I think an important feature there is the way it is a moderator who looks after it - which stops it getting "messy".

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I like Neil's and Chris' suggestions too...
Charley - we can't go back and re-vote for the additions to the poll!

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
I like Aragorn's suggestion although there might be bit of overlap between "Forum Community" and "General Woodworking".

Like Chris' suggestion too.

Jigs would be good but IMHO plans are less useful because people always go and change them to suit their own purposes anyway

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
(OK I did start a thread earlier today in the off-topic section but I can be cured )
ummmmm... lemme guess... ya gotta wear Alf's smoc and stand in the corner facing the wall for an hour..??????

:p :wink:

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the poll has been altered a couple of times since it was launched, it's possible that some members have voted for options they would not have chosen originally. I'd suggest that it might be wise to reflect on the suggestions that have been made for a little while before relaunching the poll. One thing appears to be quite clear, though; the days of the Tools Poll section are numbered :) .

For myself, I'd like to see a section dedicated to 'impure' woodworking such as MDF, acrylic, ply, metal and other constructions that strictly speaking don't constitute woodwork.

I'm also very pleased to see the Off-topic section thriving. To my mind, it's the sign of a healthy and happy online community.

Gill

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
"I'm also very pleased to see the Off-topic section thriving. To my mind, it's the sign of a healthy and happy online community."

Well said Gill.

Noel

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I like Chris's idea - a forum section for "Completed Projects" - so you can go have a look when you want some inspiration.

Adam

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Scott":104wkngd said:
Jigs would be good but IMHO plans are less useful because people always go and change them to suit their own purposes anyway
I think both plans and jigs are good reference material even if they result in a hybrid/modified version, at least they provide food for thought and a chance for "someone" on this forum to come up with an improved or more useful to them version.