New scam - Humber bridge unpaid toll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I got a letter stating I am being charged £16.50 for unpaid toll for using the Humber Bridge.

I've never been there in my life and definitely not in the 5 ish years I've been driving, and the "evidence pictures" are blank.

If I don't pay it in 31 days I'll be hit with another £100 on top.

but here's the scary part - the payment section - either pay by cheque or... wait for it, write down your card details on the form - card number, issue number, start and expiry date, full name and ....SSD number on the back, oh and a signature, then mail that back.

so basically everything needed to clone the card.

I truly hope no-one is fool enough to do this, but I'll also be wrong.

Should I take this to the police?

Yes...................If there's a valid UK address.

Alternatively, your number plate may have been copied and used on another car.

It's worth finding out who operates the fine systems for that bridge and ensuring that it isn't the latter.

You must have some kind of postal inspector there. I'd turn it in no matter what. They'll likely be many more copies to track.

Now, I do cross the Humber Bridge now and again but I don’t think they’ve got to you through me lol. I once was contacted by Edinburgh Council as my car numberplate was on the back of a caravan which had been abandoned, I had been in Edinburgh the year before for the first time in donkeys years and could only assume that somebody had a car the same as mine and had copied my plate to stop them being stopped by the police for no tax etc?

I think he means email, as only the stupidest of the stupid would supply a postal address for a fraud.
That said ..... :unsure:

I agree....... but the OP said he had received a letter, which would be the normal procedure if a car Reg were traced through DVLA. It sounds like plate cloning to me.

nope an actual postal address, but I think I'll take it to the police, as somome else suggested it could actually be legit and my plate has been cloned.

Step number one with every scam or unpaid bill or whatever else here, go to the site or phone of the actual group and ask them for an update or confirmation.

Once in a while, I'll get something from my actual credit card company that has a link in it and wonder where their minds are (a call to them shows that it's legit -I never use the link, even if the next one looks the same as the last time I got one - usually a notification of suspicious activity, etc).

If you have a date when this event took place, I'd suggest that you dig out some transactional evidence that proves that you weren't in Yorkshire at the time....
Cloning is an obvious fraud but the police often need some encouragement to take these things on.

Also...... small point, if it is a clone attempt with another vehicle driving around on your plates, send the details in writing to your insurance company straight away. There may be other instances of illegality involving the same clone and they then can't wriggle out by saying that you withheld information.

Yep me too! I recognised his bobble hat ! 😂😂

Ahh see, and there's the proof I wasn't there :) - Classic mistake, went too far with the details coz I don't own a bobble hat - I almost exclusively wear a kakadu, an australian leather "cowbot" hat.

Oh rubbish - Glitch I just used that link and.... it's legit, they really are asking the owner of the car with my reg to pay the fine.

So I guess a call to the bridge people, and my insurance and the police.

Odd though all the same - how did they get my reg? I've never been north of Brecon in the 5 years Ive been driving; do a-holes take photos of random plates and sell them to some sort of shady group?

Last edited:
Ahh see, and there's the proof I wasn't there :) - Classic mistake, went too far with the details coz I don't own a bobble hat - I almost exclusively wear a kakadu, an australian leather "cowbot" hat.

Oh rubbish - Glitch I just used that link and.... it's legit, they really are asking the owner of the car with my reg to pay the fine.

So I guess a call to the bridge people, and my insurance and the police.

Odd though all the same - how did they get my reg? I've never been north of Brecon in the 5 years Ive been driving; do a-holes take photos of random plates and sell them to some sort of shady group?

More likely a data breach or intentional data sharing.

There's a possibility that it's accessed through the DVLA records, which are open and available to all sorts of legitimate third-party searches.
For example, MOT records, then again all insurance companies have access to your vehicle details, especially when you do an on-line quote, etc. It is a very porous system that they have.

Whatever you do, keep a meticulous record of whom you speak to, names, times etc and do as much in writing. You need the bridge people (who may be a private collection agency and not very helpful) to provide details of the times, vehicle type etc if you decide to contest the fine.
The police have automatic plate recognition and have records of cloned vehicles and regularly check for uninsured cars..... so expect to be stopped and checked after you report it.
It is crucial that you inform your insurer in writing giving as much info as possible to avoid any problems with your policy.

Good luck.....

I got a letter stating I am being charged £16.50 for unpaid toll for using the Humber Bridge.

I've never been there in my life and definitely not in the 5 ish years I've been driving, and the "evidence pictures" are blank.

If I don't pay it in 31 days I'll be hit with another £100 on top.

but here's the scary part - the payment section - either pay by cheque or... wait for it, write down your card details on the form - card number, issue number, start and expiry date, full name and ....SSD number on the back, oh and a signature, then mail that back.

so basically everything needed to clone the card.

I truly hope no-one is fool enough to do this, but I'll also be wrong.

Should I take this to the police?
DEFINITELY = Reporting fraud and cyber crime | Action Fraud

Back