New sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mm stroke needed or not when I already have a tried

• 3mm is fine

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 5mm is best even with rotex

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new sander, I am currently weighing up whether to get a 5mm stroke sander or if I can do with a 3mm stroke. I have a Festool rotex 150mm so part of me thinks I could be fine with just a 3mm sander but at the same time I think a 5mm will be very convenient.

Be glad of thoughts of those with a similar set up.

I am also looking for a sander and that is an interesting one @Spectric with different size pads.

Most of my projects are small but I am soon making a dining room table and desk out of slabs. These slabs will be planed so when I say making it will be screwing on some metal legs and sanding the faces!

If I was sanding a table top I'd be reaching for a belt sander ... it's not just about making it smooth, it's also about making it (or keeping it) flat - so the belt sander with its flat platen seems the best tool for the job. It's also very active in material removal so it gets the job done.

I work mainly with solid wood, two major upcoming projects I have are a walnut bed and a white oak dining table. I occasionally work with hardwood veneered wood but do currently own a DeWalt finish sander with a 2.5 mm

If I was sanding a table top I'd be reaching for a belt sander ... it's not just about making it smooth, it's also about making it (or keeping it) flat - so the belt sander with its flat platen seems the best tool for the job. It's also very active in material removal so it gets the job done.
I used to have a belt sander for this operation but it died and I got the festool rotex instead which is pretty good at material removal but also has a 5 mm finish sanding option though this is still pretty aggressive and the rotex is quite Cumbersome to use for finish sanding

Basically the options I am considering is either the mirka deros 6" mm stroke or the festoll ETS ec150/5mm or festool ETS ec125 and add a 150 mm pad to that.

The festool 125 is around $200 less expensive than the 150 mml option but only has the 3 mm stroke option available

The festool rotex can do most sanding jobs and is usually an either or buying choice with the mirka deros as they have similar performance. It seems like you're looking at tools similar to what you already have. If you want a finish sander that can do corners have you thought of a quarter or half sheet sander. I find my DeWalt quarter sheet very useful.

Sanders are either for removing a lot of wood or simply for finishing. Most of us use them for pre finishing wood before applying a finish. I have a Mirka Ceros with a 5 mm orbit and I have to say it is brilliant. Using hook and loop 125mm discs I can go up to 400 grit for denibbing plywood and finishes with no obvious swirl marks. Dust extraction is of course mandatory. However I have teak windows in my shed which need redoing so I have splurged for a Makita cordless 125 mm. With three speed settings I can use it with a lambswool bonnet to finish wax my projects. There are a lot of options out there. :rolleyes:

Hi I was recently in the market for a new sander. I was looking at the Mirka but with the price and reliability issues I went for the clone by Menzer. It’s a ETS 150 5.0 with 150&125mm pads which I use with abranet discs. Got to say I’m well impressed. Highly recommend it.

I have the Mirka Ceros as well, and it is fantastic with Abranet mesh. Superb dust collection. This has been replaced by the Deros.

I have just acquired a like-new (almost unused) Festo (pre-Festool, so 20 years old!) RS400, which is basically unchanged from the current version. Researching the Festool RST400, it appears that many actually prefer this sander over the Festool ETS150, which is a fantastic sander. 2mm throw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Mirka Ceros as well, and it is fantastic with Abranet mesh. Superb dust collection. This has been replaced by the Deros

Regards from Perth

Derek
I never understood the reasoning behind that. The best sanders should have a low center of gravity and be lightweight like the air powered versions. I don't find the separate transformer cumbersome in any way. The old saying ' The time to buy it is when you see it ' rings true.

Hi I was recently in the market for a new sander. I was looking at the Mirka but with the price and reliability issues I went for the clone by Menzer. It’s a ETS 150 5.0 with 150&125mm pads which I use with abranet discs. Got to say I’m well impressed. Highly recommend it.
Here's the thing, I got a Deros clone as well from a brand called MaxXT available on Amazon here in Canada and it died after 5 minutes of use including smoke out of the motor. With it coming in close to half the cost or a Deros I can't justify giving it a second chance should it not last several years or a lifetime like a premium sander should/would.

Thanks for your advice all, I agree I probably don't need a second 5mm stroke sander already owning the Rotex. I think I am going to get the Festool ETS EC 125 with a 3mm stroke and fit it with a 150mm pad, don't see the need to spend almost $300 more for the ETS EC 150/3

I never understood the reasoning behind that. The best sanders should have a low center of gravity and be lightweight like the air powered versions. I don't find the separate transformer cumbersome in any way. The old saying ' The time to buy it is when you see it ' rings true.

I agree that the Ceros is brilliant because it is lower profile like an air sander, unfortunately mine is broken and requires fairly complex soldering.
I suspect that they changed to the deros design to do away with the separate transformer and expensive cabling with xlr connector.

For the original poster, I think 5mm is fine for most things.
You could have a look at the red Deros copy sold under various brands including Sealy in the UK or you can get it straight from China.
It has positive reviews and is half the price of the Mirka.
I have a Triton version of the Rotex and it is mega aggressive in forced rotation mode, you really have to hold on to it ! But I don't like it as much as the old Ceros which was ergonomically perfect.

Ollie

Edit looks like the red deros clone has been discussed while I was typing. !!

Back