new routers from trend T10 and T11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
i hate it when this happens, i bought a T9 last year and now looks like its been improved :(. But i have to say i am mostly happy with the t9 except i find the plunge lock quite cumbersome i wonder if they have improved it. Anyone seen one yet?

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/t10&t11/

Tombo this months GWW and The Router both have reviews on Trends new routers.
The T11 is a redesigned Dewalt 625/CMT (nothing wrong with that) with a above the table raiser and a quick release system.
I bet whoever designed the original ELU 177E all them years ago could never have dreamt his baby would still be about now. From Landsend to John O'groats you can still find it onsite anyday of the week in one badge or another (mainly the DW).
IMHO whatever badge is on it the 625 is still the best router on the market, and Trend can only have made it better.

Regards

Woody

I see Rutlands are offering discounts on the RP this next week.

Quote: "Upto £80 off Trends New Routers" but I guess you have to take note of the "Up To" from what I see on their site.

you would think that elu/dewalt/black&decker would have patented thier design and stopped everybody from copying it :?. Though i do like the look of those 'D' handle routers that we cant get here Norm uses it a lot so it must be a good idea ;)

Tombo

As far as I am aware, Trend don't actually make anything and so their routers may even be manufactured by Dewalt or the company Dewalt uses in China!!!

Slightly skewing the topic, but, if anyone is looking for a cheap but cheerful 1/2" router have a look in at "Argos" there is one on sale local to me complete with 1/4" 8mm and 1/2" collets. Looks like a clone of the one B&Q marks as 2050 R. (£45 or there abouts)

Hurrah - for once something gets launched when I need to buy rather than just after I've bought.

As previously stated Rutalnds are offering the T11 for £254.95. Does anyone know of any better offers anywhere. Also that offer is for first week in June and I want it now, now, now! :lol:

Cheers

T

Hi Tim

tim":2hs33nao said:
Also that offer is for first week in June and I want it now, now, now!

I think it's because they aren't available until then. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

PS Sorry Tim, it's my wicked sense of humour.

Neil":2wole2lh said:
I think it's because they aren't available until then.

Trend technical told me it had been out since 1st of May. Annoyingly it appears its only drilled as a Trend and not as a DW/ Elu clone hence needing a unibase.

Cheers

Tim

tim":21l57qy5 said:
Annoyingly it appears its only drilled as a Trend and not as a DW/ Elu clone hence needing a unibase.

Might be worth a closer look at that, Tim, it's my belief that Trend are a direct descendant of Elu, at least as much as DW are. I think their drilling is the standard (as they put it, Trend Base Configuration)
John

JohnElliott":c93tieyf said:
tim wrote:

Annoyingly it appears its only drilled as a Trend and not as a DW/ Elu clone hence needing a unibase.

Might be worth a closer look at that, Tim, it's my belief that Trend are a direct descendant of Elu, at least as much as DW are. I think their drilling is the standard (as they put it, Trend Base Configuration)
John

Exactly what I thought John - but I asked the question of the Trend technical team and they said that it was drilled to a Trend configuration which was different to the DW one. It looks pretty similar to the DW one in reviews. Mind you the guy also said that the router had been available from May 1 and I haven't been able to find one yet.

Has anyone got experience of a T9 and a DW625 or similar and their interchangeability (if thats a word?)

Cheers

Tim

I know that if you want to use Trend (or Elu) guide bushes with a DW then you need to fit a unibase to the DW. Is this the problem? Or is it the drillings that hold the router to a router table insert? The ones on the Trend T9 are the same as the router table insert sold by Axminster etc
John

JohnElliott":13igita5 said:
Or is it the drillings that hold the router to a router table insert?

Basically this reason. I have several jigs, guides etc and a router table plate all drilled to take a DW625. While its not a major problem to redrill them all to fit a new router, it would be good if they were directly interchangeable. Given that the Trend routers always appeared to be DW/Elu clones, it seems odd to make the base plate compatability different.

Cheers

Tim

I just saw Tombo's comments about you would have thought that Elu, Dewalt et al would have patented their design to stop others copying.

Interesting comment, when Elu introduced the original plunge router they did patent it, but I dare say that patent ran out. Then Black & Decker aquired Elu, it may have been DeWalt that aquired Elu, in the end the money and control rests with B&D. Now they have Porter Cable and Delta so that is how big business grows bigger!

But what is the value of a patent, unless you have the money to contest it when some one apparently infringes your patent.

Great for the big corporations, they will chase you through the courts if you infringe their patent, but will walk all over the small company.

I don't know, you just have to start off with the idea that the intellectual property is the core of your business and value its protection as a business cost like any other - so you fork out loads to patent agents and lawyers, but instead of viewing as extorniate, view it as money well spent. If your idea is good enough, then like Dyson in the early and not so early days, you can protect it, if you invest in doing so.

I cannot disagree with Jake's comment BUT as someone who has been in business for himself since 1978 I have yet to meet another Dyson. The vast majority of my contacts in the American semiconductor, computer, software and wood working businesses have had the protection but not pockets deep enough to fight the big boys.

My, you may say cynical, view is that until we have universal world wide patent laws then the only beneficiaries are patent agents, lawyers and large companies.

Black and Decker's ability to control workmate clones through patent infringment is legendary... granted they'd the cash to fight the court cases, but when you're holding the copyright generally speaking you're safe enough...

btw D&M have some interesting prices for the T10 & 11 along with some nice bundled packages too...

Back