New Router ?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there one of my routers is slowly packing up so time for a new mid size .. i am not in the Feestool system but not unhappy to go that route if needs be .. however i am a Mafell user with a pretty good selection so on my short list is the Bosch Gof 1600 kit as mafell makes the bosch rails so the rail adapter would work on my Mafell rails .. also Mafell make the LO65 but there are hardly any reveiws on this router ! anybody on here use either or anyother suggestions welcome ?.
Many thanks in advance ..

I had the Bosch GOF 1600 CE, along with the fixed base, and was mostly happy with it. The dust collection was not as good as the Festool routers I have now, but otherwise it is a good router.

Thanks how do you get on with the pistol grip on the 1400 and 1010 ...Mafell did the lo50 which I think they now make for feestool I checked it out then but could not decide due to the egonomics!

Thanks how do you get on with the pistol grip on the 1400 and 1010 ...Mafell did the lo50 which I think they now make for feestool I checked it out then but could not decide due to the egonomics!

I have the 2200 and 1010, but haven't used the 2200 yet. So far, the 1010 works great for work that is not suitable for the router table. I never paid attention to the ergonomics of the 1010's grip...it is comfortable.

Ah interesting I am about to sell my large spindle (downsizing ) and investing in a incra table ..so you find because you have a table the bulk of the work not done on the table the little 1010 can handle ?

For me the most important thing on a handheld router is the ergonomics of the handles and the way the switches work. I am sure the motors differ very little.

I have a Festool 1010 and it is just easy to use and ergonomic for me. I love the pistol grip and the fact it stops pretty much instantly, its remarkably powerful for its size.
I have a spindle motor in an incra router table so the only time I need a bigger router is when doing a worktop joint or something.

Years ago I had a big Trend router and just hated it because the switch required an interlock to be pushed before the trigger would let it run. This gave me horrible arm ache and I am sure would have lead to RSI in the end, got rid of it just for that reason.
I have a Makita that is almost the same as the old trend, it has a better switch and handles but only just.
Had a big Triton as well, great in a table , very awkward freehand.

This is where the Festool stuff is just slightly better, they put a bit more thought into stuff like ergonomics.

In short make sure you actually hold it in your hands and if possible use it before purchasing a machine.

Maffel is probably fine, they generally make good stuff.

Ollie

I am a convert to Makita routers as they are sweet to run with zero vibration. As an all round 1/4"/ 8 mm router its hard to beat the RP 1110C model. It has a 1100W motor and is built like a brick. Pricey of course but you only have to cry once. :rolleyes:

Ah interesting I am about to sell my large spindle (downsizing ) and investing in a incra table ..so you find because you have a table the bulk of the work not done on the table the little 1010 can handle ?

So far neither the table nor the OF 1010 have not let me down on any task. However, I haven't had any project yet that taxed the capability of either.

Back