New QS at Workshop Heaven

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":1b74vdd5 said:
Benchwayze":1b74vdd5 said:
Where am I going to store these extra blades though Matthew?

Regards

John.

Well, you could always embed them into a couple of protective wooden blocks to keep them snug. You'll need to wedge the blades in, for safety, and they had better have handles...

yep.. That would work! :lol: :lol:

Cheers..
John :D

Benchwayze":2q5i24hm said:
Where am I going to store these extra blades though Matthew? :mrgreen:

Regards

John.

I have a little drawer in my new tool chest just waiting to accommodate them John...when you need them you simply send me a SAE! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":j6qvsxtr said:
Benchwayze":j6qvsxtr said:

Regards

John.

I have a little drawer in my new tool chest just waiting to accommodate them John...when you need them you simply send me a SAE! :mrgreen:

Jim

Knowing my luck you'd have lost the keys Jim!

John (hammer) :lol:

Benchwayze":3fa2tjtc said:
jimi43":3fa2tjtc said:
Benchwayze":3fa2tjtc said:

Regards

John.

Jim

Knowing my luck you'd have lost the keys Jim!

John (hammer) :lol:

DOH! (homer)

Sussed again! :mrgreen:

Jim

Benchwayze":1r8vzkhz said:
Where am I going to store these extra blades though Matthew?

Hi John,

They come tucked into the foam padding that lines the wooden box, but if you prefer they will fit nicely into a leather scaper wallet.

Hi All,
I've read and re read the reviews and some of the postings here and, this may be a daft question, on setting one of these planes up, the overall impression I got was that any further honing of the supplied blades should be done at the original angle to maintain the final presented angle (12 + 25) = 37, (12 + 50) = 62 for the required job in hand, the 62 deg for wild grain etc..
or is it appropriate to then go hone the 25 blade to a further 30 as is common practice with standard 25 deg plane blades

What I'm asking is how have folks on here that own one of these, gone about setting it up from out of the box. (I know personal taste and job in hand dictates a lot). Any insight much appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi Steve,

So far I have used my low angle jack only with the 'standard' blade. I honed at 25 deg, or thereabouts (Freehand honing is my way). I also aim for the slightest of camber across the iron, but this is a personal choice. I don't work much with wild timber/grain. I like a feeling of peace, harmony and 'lurve' in my shop; flowers and incense all around as I work... (Difficult to get any benefit from it, when you are as untidy as me. :mrgreen: )

The plane tackled 'gun-stock' walnut with an unruly grain, without any difficulty. And that was the standard set-up. I wasn't making a gun-stock btw. Just trying the plane. No worries. (hammer)

8)

SteveB43":ei5xan4r said:
Hi All,
I've read and re read the reviews and some of the postings here and, this may be a daft question, on setting one of these planes up, the overall impression I got was that any further honing of the supplied blades should be done at the original angle to maintain the final presented angle (12 + 25) = 37, (12 + 50) = 62 for the required job in hand, the 62 deg for wild grain etc..
or is it appropriate to then go hone the 25 blade to a further 30 as is common practice with standard 25 deg plane blades

What I'm asking is how have folks on here that own one of these, gone about setting it up from out of the box. (I know personal taste and job in hand dictates a lot). Any insight much appreciated.

Cheers!

One of the particular merits of a BU plane is the ability to alter the "effective pitch" merely by altering the angle of the final bevel. In a BD plane, the bevel angle doesn't matter that much (as long as it's low enough to provide blade relief, so "less than 40 degree" is about the only rule).

So the question isn't really "what angle should the bevel be at", but "what effective pitch do I need for the task at hand". The bevel angle follows.

If your typical task requires an EP other than that provided by the blade in use as delivered - change it. If not, don't.

BugBear

Back