New QS at Workshop Heaven

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I just had my daily fix of Workshop Heaven and noticed that Matthew has the Quangsheng 62 low angle jack in.

Anyone got one yet?

I am interested because I have the QS iron as some will know I tried in my old infill panel plane and today...I finely tuned the bed a tad to get it square and flat and BOY! this iron is wonderful!

I was adding a bit of wood to an old bookcase to extend it out a bit and after jointing it was a tad proud of the surface of the old panel. Since it was an old knotty pitchy pine thing given to me by my future son-in-law (bless him)...I thought it would be a bit difficult to plane flat - not helped by the fact that the grain on the bit I added was opposing most of the original (silly me! :oops: ).

Anyways...I thought I would test drive the QS iron in its new home...so I whizzed it along the surface and it cut like an absolute dream!!! I had gorgeous long...perfect and thin shavings coming off almost by themselves and I got really upset when it was flat that there wasn't any left to take off.

More importantly...it whizzed through the adjacent grain..knots an' all without a care in the world.

I am sorely tempted to splash out on one of these new fangled thingymejiggy low profile jobbies but only for intrigue really as my 100 year old infill does just fine...

So if anyone has one of these I would dearly love to know what they think about it...

Oh...and by the way Matthew...that thing at the back that sticks up...the brown thing...that's the bit you hold...ok? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

I'm tempted by one as well. Can't decide whether I can justify it but it seems a good price for a nice heirloom tool.

I saw and used one at Pete Sefton's bash the other weekend. Not the fit and finish of a LN or Veritas, but at roughly £130 spondoolies including three blades, it's gota be a snip! Matt sent me one to play around with (it's in the 'shop right now). I found the tote a little small, but that's a minor niggle. As the Bash that was supposed to happen yesterday...didn't :( I haven't bothered to unpack it - Rob

I believe Peter Sefton is writing up a review of one at present (or is that not happening now Woodbloke/Matthew?).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":359brkg7 said:
I believe Peter Sefton is writing up a review of one at present (or is that not happening now Woodbloke/Matthew?).

Cheers, Vann.
Pete's writing a review at the moment for publication in a forthcoming edition of F&C - Rob

I thought he was doing a review for the Forum too Rob - unless things have changed.

Karl":kejxa05z said:
I thought he was doing a review for the Forum too Rob - unless things have changed.
As I understood it...or thought I understood it :? it was for F&C, but it may well be for both - Rob

I tried it at PS's too and although it is very good value and excellent at the business end the tote is too small and also too far back which is why Matthew is seen adjusting it with his hand in front of the tote. It is impossible to adjust on the fly which I think is a serious shortcoming, although not everyone agrees.

Yer pays yer money..............

It's the same with the Veritas though Brian and even if you could reach you can't adjust on the fly anyway as it's a screw down lever cap and a Norris type adjuster (by the look of it).

As for the handle I guess the oriental mitt is smaller than the occidental.

Richard T":ytcakb4r said:
It's the same with the Veritas though Brian and even if you could reach you can't adjust on the fly anyway as it's a screw down lever cap and a Norris type adjuster (by the look of it).

Not true. I can adjust both my LA Jack and BU smoother without difficulty. I would not expect to adjust the side to side on the fly but cut is easy.

Luckily financial considerations are nipping my curiosity in the bud (new netting needed for the fruit cage), otherwise I'd be scraping round for a justifiable reason for having three bevel-up jacks on the premises, and, yep, even I'd struggle with that one...

Alf":2nz1mnz5 said:
Luckily financial considerations are nipping my curiosity in the bud (new netting needed for the fruit cage), otherwise I'd be scraping round for a justifiable reason for having three bevel-up jacks on the premises, and, yep, even I'd struggle with that one...

Is it possible to have too much choice? :wink:

Hi Guys
My apologies for being a little slow with the Quangsheng 62 review I posted it this afternoon to go on the review section but not sure if it gets uploaded overnight? Also I have written a review of the Hammer A3 26 Planer Thicknesser this week for F&C. So I haven’t had much time to post this week :cry:

In the 62 review I have not mentioned the handle tote size as it fits my hand fine, but I have seen other people mention the size on here. If you put the QS handle alongside a Clifton Handle there is enough meat in the QS to reshape it if required. As for adjusting the blade, I would think it would be difficult with all 62s-maybe Rob can comment on his Veritas :?:

Alf":1km58ndp said:
And I'm having my teeth done. :shock:

Jacob":2tjswi2e said:
Alf":2tjswi2e said:

My missus is a dental nurse and she says you are better off with a convex bevel.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":1nmd44xw said:
Jacob":1nmd44xw said:
Alf":1nmd44xw said:

My missus is a dental nurse and she says you are better off with a convex bevel.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim
Glad you told me. I was going to have them hollow ground with a 22.5º micro bevel and backed off with the ruler trick.

Peter Sefton":1pymv0tw said:
As for adjusting the blade, I would think it would be difficult with all 62s-maybe Rob can comment on his Veritas :?:
The low down position of the adjuster on the LV LA jack means that it's quite awkward to adjust in 'on the fly' so I don't bother. It's easy enough to just tweak it a fraction by just stopping for a moment during planing.
I wonder if the small tote issue is symptomatic of these oriental planes?..I seem to recollect that there was another QS plane with a small tote (or was it the tote too far back :duno: ) In any event, I reckon it's a cracking plane for the money - Rob

Jacob":16d3cyma said:
Glad you told me. I was going to have them hollow ground with a 22.5º micro bevel and backed off with the ruler trick.

Strewth, don't do that! you'll fetch half your tongue off !!!

Actually, when I think about it, that's a pretty accurate description of the cross section of a front tooth - you know, the cutting ones as opposed to the rounded molars.

Richard T":38nx6wp8 said:

I find that a disadvantage on the LA BU Jack too. And for some reason, the adjuster knurled nut is very difficult to get at. But once it's set... Oh boy!

Do Quansheng do a BU smoother? :mrgreen:

John :)

I adjust my Veritas BUS, LAJ and BUJ on the fly. With the left hand.

Cheers Pedder

Back