New pyro based project idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve had an experiment at burning on one of my turnings. Inspired by the Turner Molly Winton, a basket weave type texture with some stylised flowers.
Sort of thinking about some of the wild fires seen in US / Australia and new growth coming back.
Would love to hear your thoughts and critique on how I could improve.

Attachments

• AB45F645-03BF-40D5-8486-2976535CC311.jpeg
    AB45F645-03BF-40D5-8486-2976535CC311.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 27
  • 3E8A1AB6-EA51-48DD-8E3B-2F5A05EA26F6.jpeg
    3E8A1AB6-EA51-48DD-8E3B-2F5A05EA26F6.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 26
  • D6831F01-BDC2-4BEF-A48D-68216BEC38BC.jpeg
    D6831F01-BDC2-4BEF-A48D-68216BEC38BC.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
I’ve had an experiment at burning on one of my turnings. Inspired by the Turner Molly Winton, a basket weave type texture with some stylised flowers.
Sort of thinking about some of the wild fires seen in US / Australia and new growth coming back.
Would love to hear your thoughts and critique on how I could improve.
I think this lady was just on boob tube with Alan Stratton (as wood turns)... she was making her own custom pyro coils, very cool (or hot should i say).... These works you've made are unique, i'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes :)

I like that - nicely done.
In the spirit of critique, which I think you requested, I just wonder if the dark lower part could stop lower down the piece? Maybe come up to one third, rather than half way?
I'm no designer, so could be taking hoof, but just thought it might lighten the piece, (literally and figuratively).

Still reckon it looks good, though. 👍

Simon
I like the idea and inspiration behind the piece and love the basket weave texture.(y)
To my eye I find it's too organised? When I think of the forest fires I think of the burnt debris lying around in a random manner and then the new life appearing through that mess. Does that make sense? So maybe the top of the basket weave texture was more irregular it would give that sense of chaos? ... or maybe that says more bout me :D
Certainly like to see where you go with this.
Take care
Mark

I like that - nicely done.
In the spirit of critique, which I think you requested, I just wonder if the dark lower part could stop lower down the piece? Maybe come up to one third, rather than half way?
I'm no designer, so could be taking hoof, but just thought it might lighten the piece, (literally and figuratively).

Still reckon it looks good, though. 👍
I also agree that if the dark lower area stopped on the third it would definitely lighten the piece. Really great idea though! Need to have a try at that myself 😉

Thanks Mark, really helpful.
Simon
No problem and glad you found it helpful. It was good seeing you asking for the piece to be critiqued. When I was producing I was forever doing the same and felt my work improved through the feedback I got, be it positive or negative. And remember at the end of the day it's all subjective.
All the best
Mark

Those are nice (y)agree with only a third of the darker Basket weave ,does the rule of three's apply :unsure: , keeping the new growth plants the same height , and with that blank space at the top perhaps a single simplistic version of the sun ( think Teletubbies but without the face ) to signify the dawn of another day.
The above idea came from my daughter who is very keen on stuff like that and thought it would be a nice touch :) , I then thought hmmmmm if you came up with something a little unusual as the center of the sun it could be your trademark , sort of like the Mouseman did on his works :unsure::unsure:

Back