New Project - inspiration needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've agreed to make an occasional table for my mum for xmas - to be used to put the phone on. I'm not sure if occasional table is the correct term but it will be about 2.5 foot tall, with a single drawer under the top, and a single shelf about halfway down.

I've been trying to find some plans, photos or tutorials for something like this to help me with a cutting list, design, which wood to use etc..

Does anyone have any links to something similar.

As far as style goes, it will be stained quite dark and is going into a dark-ish corner so doesn't matter if its shaker, arts & crafts, etc..

Any input would be welcomed at the moment!

give me a day and i'll look thriugh my mags.

i remember about two or three designs with exploded plans, so i'll get back when i find something.

cheers

mike h

Thanks for link and the pics, there are some nice idea's there, but what i'm really looking for is a set of plans, can anyone recommend a good site that has plans for sale or free to download?

Cheers.

Why not draw them up yourself ? you know the size and height you want it to be so whats stopping you :D

Because i'm a complete beginner when it comes to something like that and don't know how to do some key aspects of the build.

For example, how to attach the top to the legs, how to attach a lower shelf to the legs with joinery, and how to do mortises - so far i've only used dovetail and lap joints..

Also i'm stuck for time, and I fear drawing plans is going to take me a while.

Isnt that what the forum is for :D
Sounds like your looking at making the legs part of the structure .
So you have four timbers cut to the height you need and you need to mortice and tenon 4 rails top 1 draw height on the front to separate the doors and 4 bottom , then you want to stop rebate the legs and rebate the rails (exept the front rails) to hold the timber panels that make the body of the unit . Mortice and tenons , where are you based as i have 41 m&t's that need cleaning up that will give you the practice you need :lol:

I'm not explaining it very well, so i've found a picture of something similar (ignore the styling and colours)

OFS-CC04_med.jpg

So really, I guess what i'm after like JFC has suggested is advice on the points I made previously - how do I attach the top, and how to fix the lower shelf?? - unlike the image, i don't want to have any rails supporting the shelf, but would like the shelf some how attached to the legs directly..

I'm fine with the doing the drawer as I did one at my recent course with b.luckhurst.

I'm based in essex, although your offer of cleaning 41 joints is very very tempting, I think i'll pass and just buy a dvd/book on mortise and tennoning :) I don't want to be scared away for life!

I would fix the top with glue and hidden blocks screwed on the inside of the side rails and top , the draw will hide the blocks ( If you can see under your staircase you'll see what i mean , just scale it down ). The shelf , rebate it into the legs and glue it .

Thanks for the advice on the fixings - I can visualise it better now, I suppose I should put some time aside to make my own plans now that I have a better understanding of it.

Just a quick question on wood choice, seeing as its going to be stained to match the other dark furniture in the room, would Cherry be a good choice in terms of economical price and ability to be stained? Or should I be looking at some other alternatives - cost is a factor for this piece but I dont want to make it too 'cheap' if you know what I mean.

In the meantime, anyone know of a good online tutorial for mortise and tenons?

BB
Cherry is lovely-but expensive. What about sapele or one of the mahogany family?
As for fixing the top, screw directly through the front upper rail (taking the drawer out first) and at the rear and sides use "buttons" to locate but allow movement.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

ByronBlack: I made a top for my cabinet earlier this year from all the scrap lengths of batten I could lay my hands on. It has turned out a runaway success and cost can be considered as nil. Fixed with buttons.
Battens were 1"x1" and lengths varied.

Byron, a good project with plenty of different joints to practice and improve your skills on.

Not sure what the overall size of the top will be but I would avoid glueing it, as the wood will not be able to expand and contract.

If I were making one like the photo then I would fix the top with screws through elongated slots in the draw kickers, likewise the lower shelf would be held onto the leg rails with screws into counterbored slotted holes.

The top draw rail will need to be dovetailed into the top of the front legs as there is no strength in a small M&T joint at the end of the legs.

As Philly says Sapele is not too expensive & is easy to work, don't be tempted to go for meranti etc as it is a pig to finish.

As for plans, most tables follow the same basic construction methods, I'm sure the members can help if you decide to design your own or want help with a specific joint.

Jason

Thanks for all the insight fella's. I'm going to measure up and draw the plans this weekend, i'll post them here for your perusal to make sure i'm not going to completely pipper it up :)

Philly, Jason - thanks for the heads up on using sapele, I did consider this as i've used mahogany quite a bit in the making of guitars and really like working with it, didn't realise it was as cheap as it is as tone-wood tends to be that much more than a normal plank.

I was considering ordering the wood from: http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/ Has any one had any experience from these?

Some good points Jason made there , a sliding dovetail would be a better joint for the top rails . You can use a haunched m&t at the end of timber but thats more in construction and not furniture making . This forum has a tutorial on m&t under the "how to" drop down at the top of the page .

Use SLH quite a bit no problems with using them for solid timber, not too keen on using them for panel products though. Due to pick up about 8cu.ft of Iroko from them today or tomorrow.

JFC, dovetail is only for the top draw rail if the draw runs full width, M&T for the other three rails, will find a pic & post.

Jason

Jason - cheers for the feedback on that, I thought of using them as there isn't a decent wood yard local to me and i've heard that there delivery service is good. I think i'll go ahead and order from them.

Back