New Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B beat me to it, bought mine direct from Milton Keynes. They do pop up second hand occasionly.
SCM do a helical machine as well. If I were you I would ring around some dealers and see what they have.

Ollie

If this is a business, is it the main machine used for planing solid timber or is that done on a 4 sided planer moulder?
It's not a business, more in the lines of an educational establishment with a proprietary budget.
It's the main planer and used daily but anything over 10"/12" isn't needed, a four sider would be overkill for our needs.

It's not a business, more in the lines of an educational establishment with a proprietary budget.
It's the main planer and used daily but anything over 10"/12" isn't needed, a four sider would be overkill for our needs.
Ah ok, I understand.

is it just used for a hour or so a day then?

Ah ok, I understand.

is it just used for a hour or so a day then?
Yes, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Our current planer's 37 years old, it works but if anything breaks there'll be no parts available so trying to preempt that while there's some money available.

That explains why I couldn't find any prices, thanks.
They don't have them online, you need to fill out a contact form, a sales person generally gets in touch very quickly. The Hammer A3-31 which is 12" is priced around the £3-4k mark from memory.

They don't have them online, you need to fill out a contact form, a sales person generally gets in touch very quickly. The Hammer A3-31 which is 12" is priced around the £3-4k mark from memory.
Currently I'm considering the Sedgwick PT255 and SCM Minimax FS40, where does the Hammer sit with those?

If the Sedgewick is the same as the old ones you don't need to lift the bed to thickness which could be an advantage, should last for ever too. Probably not much in it between the Hammer and the Minimax.

Depends on the deal you can find. Not sure if you have 3 phase, second hand bargains are more likely if you do.

Ollie

Currently I'm considering the Sedgwick PT255 and SCM Minimax FS40, where does the Hammer sit with those?
I don't have any experience with the Sedgwick or SCM machines, the thing I like about Hammer (Felder) is the quick change over from planer to thicknesser, especially the dust extraction. While you have to raise the beds, it is very easy and switching the dust extraction over is a breeze.

Again I can't speak for Sedgwick or SCM but Hammer has that Germanic (I know they are Austrian) feel in quality of build and attention to detail.

If the Sedgewick is the same as the old ones you don't need to lift the bed to thickness which could be an advantage, should last for ever too. Probably not much in it between the Hammer and the Minimax.

Depends on the deal you can find. Not sure if you have 3 phase, second hand bargains are more likely if you do.

Ollie
I like the Sedgwick in general but there are a couple of things I don't like.
The dust collection box seems a bit dated with having to hold it down with the bridge guard, plus it needs to be stored somewhere.
As the jointer tables don't move out of the way, I'm not sure how accessible thicknessing with shorter lengths. I plane up a lot of shorter lengths of 18" to 36" so this might be a problem.

I've just watched a video about the Hammer A3-31 and I liked it a lot. The dust collection box doesn't need storage and flips right over, meaning no storage and minimal time changing over.
Another feature I really liked was how the tables flipped up, with fence and bridge guard staying in place, allowing excellent access to the thicknesser.

I'm not sure where this Hammer sits with the Sedgwick though, is it as durable.

I don't have any experience with the Sedgwick or SCM machines, the thing I like about Hammer (Felder) is the quick change over from planer to thicknesser, especially the dust extraction. While you have to raise the beds, it is very easy and switching the dust extraction over is a breeze.

Again I can't speak for Sedgwick or SCM but Hammer has that Germanic (I know they are Austrian) feel in quality of build and attention to detail.
I've just watched the Hammer A3-31 video and mentioned the exact same thing in my previous reply, I was very impressed with its ease of use.

Is it a machine that's up to being used every day or do they market Felder for that?

I've just watched the Hammer A3-31 video and mentioned the exact same thing in my previous reply, I was very impressed with its ease of use.

Is it a machine that's up to being used every day or do they market Felder for that?
The Hammer machines are a fair bit smaller than their Felder big brothers which I assume is where a fair bit of the cost saving between the 2 brands come in.

You are best to speak to a Felder sales person about it but I would imagine the Hammer machines are more than capable for extensive daily use.

You could try reach out to Russel Jones, [email protected]

Russell Jones Phone: +44 (0)1908 635385
Area Sales Representative Fax: +44 (0)1908 307000
Unit 2 Joplin Court Mobile: +44 (0)7803 658739
Sovereign Business Park
Crownhill Milton Keynes MK8 0JP E-Mail: [email protected]
Thanks, I did try and register with their website this afternoon so I could get some prices.
Wow, what are they hiding to make it so difficult to buy their stuff 🤷‍♂️😂

Thanks, I did try and register with their website this afternoon so I could get some prices.
Wow, what are they hiding to make it so difficult to buy their stuff 🤷‍♂️😂
Haha they do make it hard, I think they want to have a conversation with you and perhaps offer you a specific quote.

I ordered a Hammer A3-31 from Russell way back in October, I'm led to believe it will be with me later this month, with the spiral cutter it came in at £4100-ish.

@hvld
The Hammer is fine to use in a professional capacity of a small joinery shop etc.
The Felder stuff can be used all day every day in a factory production environment.
The specs are there somewhere deep in the small print.
In reality the Hammer is decent kit for the money. I have used mine for 3 or 4 days straight on tons of Oak without any hint of an issue at all.
The Felder ad 531 which is the same width of cut has a bit longer beds, has nicer fences with upgrade options and guards etc and is rated to run more industrially but it is nearly twice the price.
Same exact cutter head though.

My only niggle with the a3 31 I have was that the rollers were tensioned super hard when I got it and it was sniping in and out. Backed off the springs a good bit and now it's great.
Definitely get the optional DRO hand wheel its certainly worth it, and the wheel kit which is nice.

Ollie

Back