New Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlvd

Established Member
Reaction score
We might be securing funding at our workplace to replace our 37 year old two knife cutterblock Startrite PT260 planer thicknesser, as it’s just failed the H&S noise test, plus if it ever breaks down I doubt we’ll get parts.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Sedgwick PT255 with a spiral cutterblock, the claimed 50% noise reduction being a major factor plus it looks like it’ll last forever.

Is there anyone here who uses a spiral cutterblock planer thicknesser on a daily basis at work, and if so, what’s the real world lifespan of each edge of the four sided cutter?

I’m trying to work out if it’s financially viable due to the large amount required to replace a whole set of cutters, rather than go the Tersa block route.

If I had the choice I would take tersa over anything else. Just because changing knives is both cheap and quick.

Why is to noice level critical? Most of us use ear protection for that.

If I had the choice I would take tersa over anything else. Just because changing knives is both cheap and quick.

Why is to noice level critical? Most of us use ear protection for that.
Do you have experience of a spiral cutterblock?

The spiral carbide tips last an astonishing amount of time, I can’t put an exact time frame on mine but my machine is over two years old & I’ve still not turned them.

Talking to Mike at Mac timbers who replaced his planer & thicknesser with Felder machines a while back he’s been measuring his tips lifespan by extractor bags filled, he was up to around 90 very large bags full the last time I visited & they were still leaving an excellent finish, he’s been astounded by them.

I‘d also add the noise reduction is quite striking.

The spiral carbide tips last an astonishing amount of time, I can’t put an exact time frame on mine but my machine is over two years old & I’ve still not turned them.

Talking to Mike at Mac timbers who replaced his planer & thicknesser with Felder machines a while back he’s been measuring his tips lifespan by extractor bags filled, he was up to around 90 very large bags full the last time I visited & they were still leaving an excellent finish, he’s been astounded by them.

I‘d also add the noise reduction is quite striking.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

I'm just trying to work out if I'd get money to replace a full set of cutters which would be near £200, rather than the disposable Tersa knife block which runs similar to the cost of resharpening HSS which we're currently doing.

Judging by what I've read it looks like all four edges combined on each cutter will last a few years, so hopefully that's what I'll get. Plus, having a quieter planer will be so nice!

I am a spiral convert, especially for quietness, also good on crazy grain.
I can see why people like Tersa as well because of speed and cheapness, I have a Hammer with silent power head and had options of spiral or Tersa style, I don't regret my choice and am still on my first set of cutters after over a year.

Ollie

Last edited:
I am a spiral convert, especially for quietness, also good on crazy grain.
I can see why people like Tersa as well because of speed and cheapness, I have a Hammer with silent power head and had options of spiral or Teresa style, I don't regret my choice and am still on my first set of cutters after over a year.

Ollie
Hi Ollie, is the planer something you use regularly, every day/other day?

How many times have you rotated the cutters during that time?

Thanks

I also have the Hammer with spiral head. Similar experience to Ollie 78. One thing I have done on Peter Seftons advice was to slacken and retighten all the torx screws as they were exceedingly tight and have been known to sieze up. As I plane mainly hardwood I have had no issues with resin build up and recon I could rotate all cutters quicker than setting up a standard 3 knife block. Planer is so quiet you could get away with no ear protection. Personally I still wear them but a consideration if sharing a workspace

I also have the Hammer with spiral head. Similar experience to Ollie 78. One thing I have done on Peter Seftons advice was to slacken and retighten all the torx screws as they were exceedingly tight and have been known to sieze up. As I plane mainly hardwood I have had no issues with resin build up and recon I could rotate all cutters quicker than setting up a standard 3 knife block. Planer is so quiet you could get away with no ear protection. Personally I still wear them but a consideration if sharing a workspace
I'm trying to work out the real world lifespan of each edge on the four sides cutter if used daily, how often would you rotate yours?

Thanks

I would say my use is more like, do a lot of planing for 2 days then do other joinery with a bit more planing mixed in for the rest of the week, on average.
Depends what I am doing. Sometimes it's idle for a week but not often.
I think most of the cutters are on the 3rd side, I replaced a couple, one smashed itself on a mystery stone or something embedded in a board and another got used up.
As Hornbeam says the little screws can be pretty tight, I looked at getting a torque adjustable screwdriver but they are very expensive.

Ollie

I would say my use is more like, do a lot of planing for 2 days then do other joinery with a bit more planing mixed in for the rest of the week, on average.
Depends what I am doing. Sometimes it's idle for a week but not often.
I think most of the cutters are on the 3rd side, I replaced a couple, one smashed itself on a mystery stone or something embedded in a board and another got used up.

Ollie
Thanks, so not quite the equivalent of ten HSS blades per edge they make it out to be.

I'm all for this cutter block it's just that I'm worried replacing a set of cutters won't be financially viable in one hit, rather than the drip drip of Tersa or resharpening HSS.

Thanks

The beauty about the four sided replaceable cutters apart from the fact you have four sharp sides, is that you only need replace a single cutter if needed , it would be a spectacular fail if you manage to pipper up a whole set of cutters in one go, the areas that get little or no wear wont need turning as often as the others so the cost comes down . My mate has them on his machine and swears the time saved by just turning or replacing a damaged cutter is worth the outlay. If i ever change my machine i would go this route as well ( or use his machine ;) ):)

@hvld
It's a valid point, I am not looking forward to buying a full set. However there are "pattern" cutters by other manufacturers that might work out cheaper or I am hoping Felder might do me a good price on a full set.

Thinking about how long I have had the machine it could be 18 months now, hard to remember.
Another thing is that if you do get a nick in the blade or something you only need to turn or change one small insert.
On my old machine it was 2 full knives if it happened then they would need replacing and sending for grinding.
When I sold my old machine I think it had 12 sets of knives or something in various states of sharp, over the years that's a lot of sharpening, not to mention that they were then all slightly different sizes and would need to be set up each time, one reason I went for the inserts was the ease of indexing.

Ollie

Last edited:
At that money I'd look towards Hammer/Felder machines. You could pick up a Hammer A3-41 for similar money I'd imagine. I've used a big industrial Felder with a helical head and they make an extraordinary difference to the noise and also definitely a superior cut and finish.

At that money I'd look towards Hammer/Felder machines. You could pick up a Hammer A3-41 for similar money I'd imagine. I've used a big industrial Felder with a helical head and they make an extraordinary difference to the noise and also definitely a superior cut and finish.
I can't see anywhere that sells them in the UK?

my new to me industrial plan/thick has a 3 blade x 20 inch'ish cutter head.....
As I see it a new cutter head wether it be a Terser or Spiral will need to be custom made.....
so why would I bother with the Tersa system....when they are similar in price....
I'm def going with the spiral....
My DeWalt D27300 could do with swopping to a spiral as well but it's the import duties from the States/Canada is putting me off at the mo....
Mind, if I get one big job I'll add the cost to the job n take a little less pay........

We might be securing funding at our workplace to replace our 37 year old two knife cutterblock Startrite PT260 planer thicknesser, as it’s just failed the H&S noise test, plus if it ever breaks down I doubt we’ll get parts.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Sedgwick PT255 with a spiral cutterblock, the claimed 50% noise reduction being a major factor plus it looks like it’ll last forever.

Is there anyone here who uses a spiral cutterblock planer thicknesser on a daily basis at work, and if so, what’s the real world lifespan of each edge of the four sided cutter?

I’m trying to work out if it’s financially viable due to the large amount required to replace a whole set of cutters, rather than go the Tersa block route.
If this is a business, is it the main machine used for planing solid timber or is that done on a 4 sided planer moulder?

Back