New Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am not a great Hand tool sorta guy but felt I needed a decent plane after struggling with a clapped out stanley no 4 for ages.

Its not that I have any great skill with hand tools but felt I needed an all rounder and so chose a veritas 5 1/2" bench plane.

WOW, its a different world.

Smooth action and predictable results every time.

It was quite pricey but I feel its money well spent

:)

Your clapped out Stanley #4 can almost certainly perform better than it currently does with some care, tuning and/or upgrade parts.

BugBear

All warnings thoughfully absorbed :lol:

The stanley was given to me by a friend cleaning out one of his old sheds.

The handle is loose with a slight split near the base and I cannot see how it is affixed ( otherwise I would tighten it)

The sole needs flattening but I'm sure it could be brought back to a better condition in the right hands.

Jake,

Now you have your new plane, it would certainly be worth reading up on plane tuning and tackling your Stanley. There will, as Bugbear says, be much you can do to improve it - even before you spend much if anything on new bits for it. The knowledge will help you when it's time to tune up your LV or tackle any other plane you get. You are most unlikely to screw up the Stanley but even if you did, you are now "insured" with the LV

Back