New Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all

It has been some time since I posted a piece as I have been investigating new ideas etc.

This piece is a carry on from my "Yayoi" piece I posted some time ago. The theme of my interest in Japanese items/philosophy and in particular Zen and Wabi Sabi ( the philosophy of Impermanence) which incorporate items which are understated as the Zen/Tea masters wanted to move away from the flamboyant Chinese influences of the time. While the two periods ( Yayoi) and ( Wabi sabi era) are many hundred of years apart I draw my ideas from these and have amalgamated them using techniques I have learn from Nick Arnull and Philip Streeting to express these ideas/philosophies in the work

The idea behind this which I am aiming to include in my work ( wabi sabi) is the basic beauty of items in an understated, imperfect, modest and humble form, using natural objects and ideas from the as mentioned Japanese Yayoi period (300bc) when they first started including metal into there utility items, known as Nambu Tekki ( iron ware) however I am interested in the ageing effects of copper and bronze which can be achieved by using materials and altering them to give the effect of an old item from this period.

The piece is beech 150mm dia x 135 high. textured and aged to give the appearance of aged copper. The lid is textured using a rotary carver and small burr, this then being aged with copper foil, patination fluids and artists acrylics once dry.

For the bead I again used beech which has been coloured using artists acrylics to give a very subtle raku ceramic look. The bamboo for the lid handle is Black bamboo and is held on by the use of pure copper sheet which I formed into a tube to hold the bamboo in place.

It is sat on a slate plinth to again ground it with a natural item/stone representing the Japanese close connection with mother nature.

I am not allowed to advertise in the forum, but it may interest you that my new DVD is now available covering the making of lidded forms.

Comments welcome.

wabisabiinstitute.jpg

wabisabi1institute.jpg

Hi Mark,
I like this very much!
You have certainly achieved the effect of age which you state you were after.
I don't know much about ancient japanese items, but this one appears to fit the bill remarkably well.
Congrats!

Malc :D

Well I think you have certainly met your self imposed brief with that Mark, to explore such design concepts is not in my current life expectations but that looks to me to be faultless in concept and execution.

Thanks Malc

I should clarify that it is not representative necessarily of a Japanese form. The representation is in relation to the material used, how they look and the philosophy of this behind it.

Or at least I hope :lol: I am in my work now trying to incorporate a natural beauty from subtle items that I find around me. It is very much a journey that is in it's infancy and I hope to develop it in the future as my skills and knowledge grow.

Take care

Mark

Mark, a really remarkable piece of work.
Seems to me that you had a lot of work to do to get it that way.
It's a stunning piece of work, I love it.
Thanks for posting this.
Ad

You've really gone beyond simply turning and are now consistently using the technique as an art form. Stunning.

Quite Simply Love It!!

Thanks for sharing Mark. Inspirational, indeed.

Thanks for posting this Mark, Looking forward to rushing home now after a day at work, and getting ito the workshop !

Its a wonderful piece, i love the Bamboo handle, and the texturing wonderful

Loz\

It is beautiful. Just out of curiosity, do you cover the inside as well or leave thatas wood? I think you have finally converted me to this type of thing. I still love my natural look but have to admit that at some point I will be trying these type of things. Oriental work has an aesthetic beauty all of it's own and you are bringing it out with this work

Pete

I agree that it is well executed and designed, a lovely piece and a work of art, but I can't help wonder why bother using wood, when you completely hide it under the finish?
Personally, I like to see at least some of the wood.

I think it looks superb but tend to prefer a wooden object to at least show some of its natural colour especially if like a piece like that I presume it wouldn't get handled all that much. The craftmanship however is top notch and the form very pleasing.

Mark that is amazing.

Apart from the skill in producing the piece the finishing is outstanding.

I think you have captured the essence of an aged metal object.

Love it :D :D :D :D :D

Mike C

CHJ

Thank you, very much appreciated. But it is within everyone's ability to explore design concepts. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. This is what the Contemporary Wood Collective is all about

Ad

Thank you very much

Laird

That's is very kind of you to say as it is what I have been trying to achieve.

Wizer

Thank you

Loz

Have fun in the workshop. And thank you very much for your comments.

Pete

Thank you

The inside is sprayed with a matt black paint. I want a dark contrast on the inside.

Cambourenpete

Thank you for your comments. I use to think exactly the same, " why cover up the wood" I still do make totally natural wood items. But to hold onto this thought that the wood must always be shown is very restrictive from a creative point of view ( in my experience) So by experimenting in both types of work I can explore new and varied ideas without restriction.

I would not cover over an exotic wood. But beech sycamore lend then selves very well to this sort of work.

Harlequin

Thank you for your comment

Woodmagnet

Thank you for your comment

Buckeye

Thank you.

Mikec

Thank you very much. I am glad that it has the look I intended.

Thank you all again

Excellent Mark :D :shock:
Love the shape,finish and the colour.
I think i would still be tempted to have a strip of the natural wood showing some where on the piece,just to show that it is wood.But a cracking piece all round :D

I really like this piece, and I quite like the fact that you can achieve a metal look using wood, and although I too prefer to see natural wood, I can appreciate that sometimes it's appropriate to 'disguise' it.

As I said, I like this piece, and in general appreciate Japanese inspired pieces, they tend to have a balance that looks so simple, yet requires great skill. However, something about the bamboo handle doesn't quite seem right to me on this, it's offsetting the balance for me, I'm not sure if it's the angles of cut being the same way on each end, or if it's where along the shoot that it is cut that is giving me problems. I think it's almost looking like a functional quick rustic handle on top of a sophisticated piece of artistry.

Lovely work :)

This is a beautiful piece of art.

Frankly, I wouldn't care whether it was turned wood, cast metal or moulded pottery.....it is the aesthetic that counts with a piece like this. Indeed, if this were simply a turned piece of wood with a lid and handle it would be, (sorry!) rather dull in my view.

Mike

Hi Paul.J

Thank you for your comment. I use to think in the same way, keep the wood. I still love the stuff but it is good to let go of the restriction that such a mind set can hold.

We can all make what we enjoy and I do still make natural pieces. Don't worry I have not turned to the dark side totally, lol, although I have to say it is more alluring than the purest side ( for me anyhow). Now I know why Luke Skywalker had such a hard time of it, :lol: :lol:

Stormsinger.

Thank you for your comment. I much appreciate it particular when you say about the unbalance or the lid/bamboo part.

This is exactly what I was trying to achieve with the Wabi Sabi concept of beauty in imperfection. This being one of the main parts of the philosophy.

After all how can I make better what nature has provided as it has to be right as nature intended it to be this way.

For this type of work trying to incorporate the philosophy of Wabi Sabi/Zen to have made the bamboo bar balance would have made the piece contrived and too manipulated, the basis for the piece would then have been lost and the exercise pointless.

Thank you again, you have made my day.

Mike

Thank you very much. It is the understated aesthetics that I am trying to invoke and not the wood with this piece. So your comment is appreciated.

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

mark sanger":r7l7wdev said:
Cambournepete

Thank you for your comments. I use to think exactly the same, " why cover up the wood" I still do make totally natural wood items. But to hold onto this thought that the wood must always be shown is very restrictive from a creative point of view ( in my experience) So by experimenting in both types of work I can explore new and varied ideas without restriction.

I would not cover over an exotic wood. But beech sycamore lend then selves very well to this sort of work.
That makes perfect sense.
I'd not thought about it like that, probably because my skills and imagination at the lathe are far more limited than yours.
Once I've had many more years of practice hopefully I can think and work more freely.
Bit of a shame the day job keeps getting in the way...

Back